帖子

精华

超级版主

原力
水晶
发表于 2009-3-23 21:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
(Christopher Lee Summons the Force)

保守秘密(Keeping Secrets)

Details of Lee's prequel character are still under wraps, but he is known to play a key part in the development of the plot of Episode II. And it's safe to assume that, judging by Lee's phenomenal body of work, his new Star Wars character will be another unforgettable creation from the man who first gained fame as Dracula and, at age 78, is still going strong with a role in not only the new Star Wars trilogy but also the upcoming three-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
李在前传中所扮演角色的细节目前仍处于保密状态,但已经知道他扮演了一个在EPII的情节发展中很关键的人物。而且可以比较肯定的假设,根据李一贯杰出的表演能力,他扮演的新《星战》人物,将是自为他首次赢得声望的德库拉一角以来,塑造的另一个另人难忘的银幕形象,在78岁的高龄,不但在新《星战》三部曲,而且在即将上映的根据J.R.R.托尔金的小说《魔戒》三部曲改编的电影中扮演角色,李仍然炙手可热。

Among Lee's most memorable performances are Rochefort in three Three Musketeers movies, Sherlock Holmes, classic James Bond villain Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun (Lee's cousin, author Ian Fleming, created Bond), and, of course, nearly every classic monster in the book for Britain's hit Hammer horror films of the 1950s and '60s: his breakthrough role in The Curse of Frankenstein (he was the monster to Cushing's mad doctor); the title role in The Mummy; double duty as Jekyll and Hyde; and, most famously, his solitary yet deadly Count Dracula, whom he portrayed more than any other actor, beginning with 1958's Horror of Dracula, which pitted him against Cushing as Van Helsing, and lasting until 1974 with The Satanic Rites of Dracula.
在李最令人难忘的表演中,有电影《三剑客》中的罗切福特,夏洛克·福尔摩斯,经典的《金枪客》中詹姆斯·邦德的对头斯卡拉曼加(李的堂兄,作家伊恩·弗莱明创造了邦德),当然还有英国二十世纪50~60年代汉默影业出品的著名恐怖片名录中的几乎每一个经典怪物:他在《弗兰肯斯坦的诅咒》中的突破性表演(他是库欣扮演的疯狂教授创造的怪物);《木乃伊》中的木乃伊;双重性格的哲基尔和海德;还有那个最著名的,孤独而又致命的德库拉伯爵,他对这个角色的演绎次数远远超过其他任何演员,从1958年的《恐怖的德库拉》开始——在该片中他对抗库欣扮演的范·海尔欣,一直到1974年的《德库拉的恶魔典礼》。

But while Dracula put Lee on the map after a distinguished career in the British Royal Air Force and a string of bit parts in movies and television, the vampire also threatened to suck the blood out of Lee's career and overshadow his considerable talents. To escape type-casting, the actor sought out varied roles in diverse projects, including the cult classic suspense film The Wicker Man, A Tale of Two Cities, Steven Spielberg's comedy 1941, and the acclaimed sequel Gremlins 2. An accomplished singer who has records out in England, Lee also appeared on popular television shows like The Avengers, Charlie's Angels -- and Lucasfilm's Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in 1992. His autobiography, Tall, Dark, and Gruesome, was published in 1994, the same year he won a London Film Critics Lifetime Achievement Award.
但在李进入英国皇家空军服役,又在一系列电影及电视中出演一些小角色后,吸血鬼德库拉让李广为人知的同时,也似乎开始吸干了他的事业之血,令他无限的才华失色。为了打破类型角色的束缚,他开始在各种类型的影片中寻找扮演各种角色的机会,包括风行一时的经典悬念影片《柳条人》,《双城记》,史蒂芬·斯皮尔伯格的喜剧片《1941》,以及倍受好评的续集片《小鬼2》。李还是一个在英国出版过唱片的多才多艺的歌手,并在流行电视节目诸如《复仇者》、《查里的天使》中出现过——1992年还参演了卢卡斯影业公司的《少年印第安纳·琼斯历代记》中扮演角色。他的自传:《高个、黑暗而可怕》于1994年出版,同年他还赢的了伦敦电影批评家终生成就奖。

Still, with over 250 credits to his name, Christopher Lee's career is suddenly hotter than ever. After an appearance last year in Tim Burton's blockbuster Sleepy Hollow (which also featured Star Wars stars Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park), Lee headed for New Zealand to play the wizard Saruman the White in the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy by director Peter Jackson (Heavenly Creatures, Dead Alive, The Frighteners), and barely made it home before turning around to join the Episode II set in Australia.
尽管在他的名下已经有了超过250部的作品,克里斯托弗·李的事业突然间变得比以往更加炙手可热。继去年在蒂姆·波顿执导的巨片《沉睡谷》(本片还召集了《星战》明星伊恩·麦克迪米德和雷·帕克)中露面后,李前往新西兰,在由彼特·杰克逊(《神圣的生物》、《不死生物》和《吓人者》)导演的史诗巨片《魔戒》三部曲中扮演白袍法师萨鲁曼,几乎刚完成拍摄就转道澳大利亚,加入EP2的拍摄。

The Insider caught up with Lee just as his work on Episode II was beginning. The actor was articulate, generous with his time, and happy to talk about his memories of Peter Cushing, his classic roles, and The Lord of the Rings. But first we wanted to know more about the "charismatic separatist" he plays in Star Wars.
《知情者》杂志刚好在他开始EP2的工作时找到了李。这位演员有着与他的岁月相称的健谈与雅量,他很高兴地谈起了他对彼特·库欣的回忆,他的经典角色,以及《魔戒》。但首先我们想知道更多关于他在《星球大战》中扮演的那个“有着超凡魅力的分离主义者”的情况。

Episode II co-writer Jonathan Hales has referred to your character in Episode II as "The Perfect Gentleman."
EP2的合作编剧乔纳森·海斯将你在EP2中扮演的角色描述为“完美的绅士”。

Ah, how nice -- I will do my best to live up to that.
啊,真好——我会尽我所能以配得上这个描述。

Your character has been enigmatically described as "A Charismatic Separatist." Can you elaborate a little bit on that?
你的角色被神秘地描述为一个“有着超凡魅力的分离主义者”。你能对此作一点点详细的描述吗?

I am a little amused at the description they gave me -- well, they're entitled to write that I'm full of charisma. It will be more than just another part, obviously -- it will be another arrow in my quiver. I'm looking forward to it enormously. But when people ask me whom I'm playing, I am simply saying to them, "I have signed a confidentiality agreement. I'm afraid I cannot tell you this. If you want more information, you must get onto Lucasfilm." And that will be my answer every single time.
对他们给我的这个形容我觉得有点好玩——好吧,他们有资格把我描写得充满超凡的魅力。很明显,这不仅仅只是另一个角色——这将是我箭囊中的另一枝箭。我热切地盼望着出演这个角色。但是当人们问我我扮演的是谁,我只能简单地告诉他们:“我签了一份保密协议。恐怕我不能回答你这个问题。如果你想知道更多消息,你必须去卢卡斯影业公司。”而这将是我每次回答这个问题时的唯一答案。

I was the repository of many secrets during World War II, and if I talked, people died. I was in special forces intelligence, and I'm not prepared to say much more than that. I never have been. I signed the Official Secrets Act, which is for life. What I'm getting at is that I can keep a secret, and if I'm asked not to say anything, I don't. Ever.
二战期间我是许多秘密的储藏室,如果我泄密,人们就会死去。我加入了一个特殊的军事谍报机关,对此我不准备说得更多。我从没有多说过。我签署过《国家安全法案》,这是为了活命。我能作到是因为我能保守秘密,如果我被要求不能说出任何事,我就不会说,永远不会。

Having kept secrets during the war with lives at stake, how does all the secrecy surrounding movies these days strike you?
在战争期间为活命而冒险保守过秘密后,你对如今电影界的所有这些守秘条约有何看法呢?

I think it's very valid, because if you reveal what characters look like or how they behave or what they are, particularly in this kind of story, I think it will spoil it. It would take away the surprise element, which is enormously important, particularly with the public today. They will be going by the millions to see it, and they've still got to be surprised, which is one of the most important elements of any motion picture. You've got to surprise people with something they don't expect. I've tried to do that as an actor throughout my entire career, to do something unexpected, unconventional. And I'll continue to do so as long as I'm asked to do movies.
我认为这是非常有效的,因为如果你披露了角色是什么样子的,或者他们如何表现,或者他们是什么,尤其是在这样一个故事里,我认为这会把故事破坏掉。这会丧失那些令人惊奇的部分,而这部分又极其重要,特别是对现今的公众。他们会冲着这数百万的投资去看影片,而他们仍然为之得到惊奇的感受,这是任何一部电影最重要的组成部分之一。在我作为一个演员的整个职业生涯中我都尽力作到这一点,去做一些出人意料、有违常规的事。只要还有人请求我去拍电影,我就会一直这样做下去。

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of offers.
看来这种请求并没有任何减少。

It's a strange thing, but after 53 years in the film industry and something in the region of 250 credits, I'm now actually turning down more work than I've ever been offered in my whole career. I'm busier than I've ever been, and I'm very grateful, because there are not many people at my age who are as busy as I am. For that, I'm extremely grateful. I'm delighted that I'll be working in Episode II. I mean, after The Lord of the Rings, plus Sleepy Hollow -- I'm lucky, certainly.
这是件奇怪的事,但在从事电影行业53年,有了250部作品之后,现在我拒绝的工作实际上比我整个职业生涯中得到的工作机会还要多。我比以前任何时候都要忙,对此我非常感激,因为并没有多少人在我一样的年纪上还象我一样忙。对此,我非常地感激。我很高兴我能参与EP2的拍摄。我是说,这是在拍完《魔戒》,还有《沉睡谷》之后——当然,我很幸运。

乐趣的承诺(The Promise of Fun)

Were you surprised when you were asked to join the cast of Star Wars?
当你被邀请加入《星战》剧组时,你是否很惊讶?

Yes, I was surprised, and very pleased. I had no idea this was going to happen, absolutely none at all. My agent in London received a query -- would I be interested in appearing in the next Star Wars film? To which I said, "Yes, I would indeed." That was the first approach. I met Robin Gurland in London. We did not discuss the character. She wasn't even here for that purpose -- she was here to cast a young boy. I met her with my agent, and we had a very pleasant conversation over lunch. We did not go into any details, and there was no discussion of any story or character or part -- and there was no offer made.
是的,我很惊讶,也非常高兴。我根本没想到这会发生,绝对一点都想不到。我伦敦的代理商收到一份询问函——我是否愿意出现在下一部《星战》电影中?对此我说:“是的,我当然愿意。”这就是第一步。我在伦敦与罗宾·加兰见了面。我们并没有谈论角色。她甚至不是为了这个目的才到伦敦来的——她到这儿来只是为了给一个男孩试镜。我和我的代理商一起与她见了面,午餐后我们进行了一次非常愉快的交谈。我们一点也没有谈论任何细节,也没有讨论任何故事或是人物或是角色——也没有提供报价。

When I did tell her that I would be interested, then queries started coming through about availability, about wigs, clothing, dates. There were various inquiries as to my appearance at different ages, photographs, measurements, where my wigs would be made.
当我明确告诉她我很愿意加入后,询问函才开始涉及到入选可能性,谈到假发、服装、日期等部分。还有我在不同年龄的外貌、照片、尺寸等的各种各样的调查,这将用来制作我的假发。

Then I had a long conversation with George Lucas, and he said to me, "We're going to have a lot of fun," and that's a word that should be in capital letters. When I did 1941 with Steven Spielberg, we had a lot of fun. When I did Gremlins 2 with Joe Dante, again demanding in many respects, we had a lot of fun. When I did Sleepy Hollow, we had a lot of fun. Similarly, we had fun on The Lord of the Rings, which is a colossal epic. But in order to have this fun, you have to be able to relax, and it comes from the top. It will undoubtedly be the same thing on Star Wars, I know that.
然后我与乔治·卢卡斯进行了长时间的交谈,他对我说:“我们将会得到许多乐趣。”这是一个应该用黑体字写下的词。当我和史蒂芬·斯皮尔伯格拍摄《1941》时,我们得到了许多乐趣。当我和另一个同样值得敬重的人——乔·但丁合作拍摄《小鬼2》时,我们得到了许多乐趣。当我拍摄《沉睡谷》时,我们得到了许多乐趣。同样地,我们在拍摄《魔戒》时也有许多乐趣,这是一部宏伟史诗。但为了得到这些乐趣,你必须能够放松自己,而这种放松来自于全力的付出。毫无疑问,在拍摄《星球大战》时也能得到乐趣,我知道。

It's wonderful when somebody says to you, "We'll have a lot of fun." Lucas has said that to me, Burton has said that to me, Dante has said it to me, Spielberg has said it to me -- four of the biggest and most successful directors in the cinema. They are wise enough to know that it is absolutely vital that you should be able to relax. You don't relax when somebody says, "Action." But between takes, you can sit on the set and have a laugh with someone. It doesn't happen that often these days, with people rushing onto a set looking at their watches.
当有人对你说“我们能得到许多乐趣”的时候,就是令人愉快的事。卢卡斯这样对我说,波顿这样对我说,丹特这样对我说,斯皮尔伯格也这样对我说——这是四个电影界最大最成功的导演。他们非常聪明,懂得能够放松自己是绝对必要的。当有人说“开拍”的时候,你不会放松下来。但在两个镜头之间,你可以坐在布景上,取笑一下别人。现在这种情况不多见了,人们总是边看着表边冲过布景(?)。

What are you most looking forward to about shooting Episode II?
对于EP2的拍摄你最期待的是什么?

Well, obviously being in a film that just about everyone is going to go and see. That's one thing which is very important for an actor. But I'm also looking forward to working in a medium with which I'm not all that familiar. I have been in science-fiction things. I appeared as an alien on a television series with Martin Landau called Space: 1999, and I did that in 1974. But I'm really not familiar with making this kind of film.
恩,很明显,就是能参与一部每个人都想要去看的影片。这是对一个演员非常重要的一件事。但我也盼望着在一个对我不是这么熟悉的媒介中工作。我是在一部科幻电影里。我曾在1974年一部名为《太空:1999》的电视连续剧中和马丁·蓝道合作,扮演一个外星人。但我真的对拍摄这种类型的影片不那么熟悉。

Also, I will be meeting people whom I've never met. I don't think there's anybody in this picture that I've ever met before. I'm looking forward to that very much. I haven't met Samuel Jackson -- I respect and admire him as an actor. I haven't met Jimmy Smits, whom I also respect and admire as an actor and I've enjoyed very much over the years. I've never met Mr. Christensen, I've never met Ewan McGregor, and I've never met Natalie Portman. I probably won't be working with all of them, but I'm looking forward to meeting them.
同时,我也会与我从未遇见过的人见面。我认为并不是在这部影片中的每个人我以前都见过。我对此非常期待。我没有见过萨缪尔·杰克逊——我尊敬并钦佩作为一个演员的他。我没有见过吉米·斯密斯,我同样也尊敬并钦佩作为一个演员的他,并且多年来一直如此。我从未见过克里斯腾森先生,没有见过伊万·麦克格雷戈,也从未与娜塔莉·波曼见过面。也许我无法与他们所有的人一起工作,但我盼望着与他们见面。

How long are you shooting in Australia?
你在澳大利亚的拍摄持续了多长时间?

About three weeks, and immediately after that I have to go down to Wellington in New Zealand to do my ADR [additional dialogue recording] for The Lord of the Rings.
大约三个星期,一结束我就不得不立即赶往新西兰的惠灵顿,为《魔戒》制作我的ADR(附加对白录音)。

It must feel good to be so in demand.
受到如此重视感觉一定很棒。

Well, it does and it doesn't. Nobody likes to say no. But if the material is something that you've done before or it's not worthy of your consideration, the answer is no. And of course the more often you say no, the more the price goes up. Fortunately, I've never been controlled or manipulated by how much I'm being paid.
这个,是也不是。没人会愿意说不。但如果事实上你要做的是你以前已经做过的或根本不值得你重视的事,答案就是不了。当然你说不的次数越多,代价就越高。幸运的是,我从没有为我会收到多少钱的问题而束住手脚或被人利用。

But I don't think you could pick two more mega-productions, or two productions that would have a greater worldwide appeal -- in totally different ways. I think the world's film going public is in line for two tremendous treats -- well, more than two, actually, because as far as The Lord of the Rings is concerned, there are three separate films.
但我不认为你可以挑选两部超百万预算的电影,或两部能让你扬名全世界的大制作——两部完全不同类型的影片。我想世界电影即将得到两部超级巨片——好吧,实际上是超过两部,因为提到《魔戒》,那里有三部独立的电影。

Are you in all three Rings movies?
你出现在全部三部《魔戒》电影里吗?

I am certainly in the first two. I'm not sure about the third one. I'm bound by a confidentiality agreement -- I have a similar obligation for Lord of the Rings as I do for Star Wars, to the extent that I will not reveal anything at all. What is, known, of course, is the character I'm playing -- Saruman the White, a great wizard. What I'm not allowed to discuss is what I look like or what I do, or what anybody else does, or how the story goes. I'm not allowed to discuss that, and I won't discuss it until I'm given permission to do so, which will probably not be until some time before the release of the first film, which is December, 2001. Star Wars won't be out until 2002. Then the second film of Lord of the Rings is December 2002, and the third film is December 2003.
我当然出现在前两部里。第三部我不敢肯定。我受制于一份保密协议——对《魔戒》我有对《星战》一样的义务,因此我根本不会说出任何事来。你知道,当然,就是我扮演的角色——白袍法师萨鲁曼,一个伟大的法师。我不能谈论的部分包括我的扮相是怎么样的,或是我做了什么,或是其他任何人做了什么,或是故事如何展开。我不能谈论这些,除非我得到许可,否则我不会说,这也许要持续到首部曲上映前的某个日期,应该是2001年12月。《星战》要到2002年才公映。然后《魔戒》二部曲是2002年12月,第三集要到2003年12月。

改变的时代(Changing Times)

Were all three Lord of the Rings movies shot at the same time?
三部《魔戒》电影是同时拍摄完成的吗?

I would go as far as to say that they were filming the entire story. I really can't say more than that. They are filming the entire story, which takes the form of three separate films. From what I've been involved in myself, and from what I've seen of the action, I would say it is going to create as big an impact in motion pictures as Star Wars has done. They're both epic films, but they're not in the least bit similar, because one is in outer space in an undefined period of time, and The Lord of the Rings is on earth, although it's described as Middle Earth -- in, again, an undefined period of time. But the fact that there are no times or dates given to any of these productions is the only thing they have in common.
我所能说的就是他们拍摄的是整个故事。我真的不能再多说了。他们拍摄的是整个故事,这个故事以三部影片的形式来表现。从我自己所涉及的部分以及我所看见的动作场面部分,我会说这部影片将产生当年《星球大战》一样大的轰动效应。它们都是史诗片,但它们没有丝毫相似之处,因为一部的故事发生外太空,发生在一段不明确的时间内,而《魔戒》则是在地面上,虽然这个地方被称为“中洲”——而且,也是发生在一段不明确的时间内。但事实上这两部作品唯一的共同之处就在于它们都没有提供任何时间或日期。

I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson. Are you one, too?
我是《魔戒》导演彼特·杰克森的超级影迷。你也是其中一个吗?

He's extraordinary. He really is the most remarkable director, and I've had the privilege of working with some very remarkable directors.
他是非凡的。他真的是最不平常的一个导演,我有与几个非常优秀的导演合作的特别待遇。

Now as far as The Lord of the Rings is concerned, of course, what Peter Jackson is doing is taken from the mind and the work of another genius, Tolkien. Jackson is an amazing director. His intuition is extraordinary -- all outstanding directors know exactly what they want and they know how to get it. They don't always succeed; which they would be the first to admit. But Peter Jackson's intuition in terms of how to deliver dialogue and play a scene is faultless. He always seems to know exactly what he wants -- when he says, "Right, let's print it," you know that's as good as it's going to be, which is very encouraging.
现在直到《魔戒》受到了关注,当然,彼特·杰克逊所做的也是来源于另一个天才——托尔金的智慧与工作。杰克逊是一个了不起的导演。他有着超乎寻常的直觉——所有杰出的导演都清楚地知道自己想要什么,并且知道如何去做。他们并不总是成功;他们会是第一个承认这一点的人。但彼特杰克逊在如何陈述对话以及某个场景的表演方面的直觉是完美无缺的。他看起来似乎总是清楚地知道他想要什么——当他说:“好,让我们把这冲印出来”,你就知道这与设想的一样好,这一点非常值得鼓励。

You filmed most of Lord of the Rings outdoors in New Zealand, but much of your work for Star Wars will be with bluescreen indoors. Is bluescreen new to you, or old hat?
你在新西兰完成了绝大部分《魔戒》的外景,但你在《星战》的绝大部分拍摄将是在室内的蓝幕前完成的。蓝幕对你来说是个新鲜事物吗?或者只是老一套了?

I think almost everything I have to do [on Episode II] is interior. I wouldn't say it's old hat, because everything changes. The technical and scientific advances in film are incredible, and something new seems to crop up every year. I remember doing a picture for Disney where the screen was yellow -- that was some years ago, of course. So I'm very familiar with what we used to call in the old days back projection. We went from black-and-white movies to color, and that of course went onto yellow screen and blue screen, and now what they call CGI -- well, it's all magic.
我认为我(在EP2中)拍的每一个镜头差不多都是内景。我不会说这是老一套,因为所有的事都在改变。电影中的技术和科学进步令人难以置信,好象每一年都有新东西突然出现。我记得为迪斯尼拍一部影片时,那里的银幕是黄色的——当然,那是几年前的事了。因此我对我们以前习惯称为背景投影(?)的技术十分熟悉。我们从黑白电影到了彩色电影,那么把黄幕变成蓝幕也是理所当然的,现在他们把这个叫做CGI——恩,这都是魔术。

You've seen a lot of change over the years, but what about making movies hasn't changed?
这么多年来你看到了许多改变,但有什么是制作电影过程中没有改变的?

I think what hasn't changed, to put it very simply, is dedication. Any actor or actress who is worth their salt cares about what they do and always has. Your dedication to your craft, your involvement in your work, your instinct, your powers of imagination, call it whatever you like --these have not changed in the case of the true professionals, and I'm now talking about both sides of the camera.
我认为没有改变的,简单说来,就是“奉献”。每一位称职的男女演员都关心他们所做的事,永远是这样。你对你这一行的奉献,你工作中的难题,你的本能,你想象的能力,随你怎么称呼它——在真正的自由职业者中,这些都没有改变,我现在在谈论的包括了摄象机前后的工作者。

Could anything surprise you about making movies anymore?
在制作电影时还会有什么东西能让你感到惊奇吗?

No, nothing can possibly surprise me in the motion picture and television industry, the entertainment world. Some of it is so degrading. Some of it is so distasteful. Some of it is so dishonorable. But there are a great many people in show business, particularly in my profession, I would say the majority, who are decent, loyal, hardworking, very intelligent people. They are the majority but you don't hear about them.
没有了,在整个娱乐世界,无论是电影还是电视业可能都没有什么事能让我感到惊讶了。这其中有些事是如此丑陋,有些又如此令人厌恶。还有些事则是如此不道德。但在娱乐性行业,特别是在我的职业中,还有为数众多的人,我要说大多数,是正派、忠诚、工作勤奋,非常有才干的人。他们占大多数,但你却都没有听说过他们。

They say you have more credits to your name than any other living actor.
人们说你的作品比任何一个还在世的演员都要多。

Well, I'm not sure that's true. I did three pictures with Anthony Quinn, who is now 85, and I'm fairly certain he's done more films and has more credits than I have. I think what is true is that I have more credits than any living British actor.
恩,对此我不敢肯定。我和安东尼·奎因合拍过三部片子,他今年已经85岁了,我可以完全肯定他比我拍了更多的电影,有更多的作品。我认为说我的作品比任何一个还在世的英国演员都多,倒是真的。

You've played so many famous roles, from Sherlock Holmes to Rochefort of the Three Musketeers to James Bond's nemesis Scaramanga. But is Dracula still the role you're most associated with?
你扮演了如此之多的著名角色,从夏洛克·福尔摩斯到《三剑客》中的罗切副特,到詹姆斯·邦德的复仇者斯卡拉曼加。但是不是德库拉仍然是最常与你联系起来的一个角色?

I think it was. I'm not so sure about now. When people meet me in the street a few things happen -- they say, "Can I shake your hand," and, "Can I have your autograph?" And then it's always the same line: "I enjoy your movies." It's hardly ever specific.
我想是的。现在怎么样我不太肯定。当人们在街上遇见我时,会发生这样几件事——他们说:“我能和你握个手吗?”然后,“我能请你签个名吗?”再然后,总是同样的话:“我非常喜欢你的电影。”几乎从没有例外。

Dracula was very important to me, because every actor needs a launching pad, and it certainly did that for me -- it launched me into international recognition. We all need that. But there's always the other side of the coin, and it happened to many of my distinguished predecessors and some of my contemporaries: the media, not the public, like to pigeonhole everyone. I did the first Dracula 43 years ago, and the last one was 28 years ago -- and I only did more than one because the head of Hammer Films told me I would put so many people out of work if I didn't. That's the only reason I did it after the first one -- I wasn't going to deprive people of employment. But I did become progressively disenchanted, because it got further and further away from the character.
对我而言,德库拉是非常重要的,因为每个演员都需要一个事业的发射台,这对我当然也适用——他让我受到了国际性的瞩目。我们都需要这个。但一枚硬币总有着相反的两面,这种事曾发生在我那些著名的前辈以及部分和我同时代的人身上:媒体,不是公众,总喜欢给每个人进行分类。43年前我第一次扮演了德库拉,最后一次扮演是在28年前——而我比谁演得都多只是因为汉默影业的头头对我说,如果我不演,我就会让许多人失业。这就是我拍了第一部后继续出演的唯一原因——我不想剥夺人们就业的机会。但我的表演变得越来越缺乏吸引力,因为离角色越来越远了。

After Dracula, you played so many different, varied roles. Was that a conscious effort to get away from the horror film image?
在德库拉之后,你出演了众多不同的,各式各样的角色。这是不是你有意在努力摆脱恐怖影片的影响呢?

Yes, that's right, and particularly what I did in the States when I went to live there. Everybody in the motion picture industry said to me, "You're wasting your time staying in the UK because the casting directors just don't have much imagination, and they're just going to ask you to do the same thing. Come to America and you will find more opportunities open to you, different sorts of stories and different parts."
是的,没错,特别是我来到美国居住后我出演的电影。电影界的每个人都对我说:“继续留在英国是浪费时间,因为角色导演没有多少想象力,他们只会让你作同一样事情。来美国吧,你会发现有更多的机会在等着你,不同的故事还有不同的角色。”

I think the most important thing I've probably ever done in my career was to host Saturday Night Live in 1978. It was the third-highest rated show. It made a tremendous difference to me. There were 35 million people watching -- it had a 39 [percent] share. And people said, "Oh, he can be funny." I would have never had that opportunity here [in the UK]. Never.
我认为我在我事业中所做的最重要的一件事就是在1978年主演了《周六夜生活》。这是一部第三卖座的影片。对我是个极大的转型。有三千五百万人观看了此片——有39%的份额。人们说:“噢,原来他还可以这么有趣。”在英国我永远也得不到这样的机会。永远不会。

So why did you move back to England?
那么为什么你要回到英国呢?

I had nothing more to prove, quite frankly. I am a European, and one returns to one's roots. I went for a purpose, and I achieved that purpose. I made it quite clear that I was no longer typecast, and the people I'd worked with and the kinds of films I'd done were so varied.
坦白讲,我没有什么要证明的了。我是个欧洲人,总要叶落归根。我为了一个目标而离开,我达到了这个目标。我清楚地表明我不再是个类型演员了,我所拍电影的类型和合作的人都是如此不同。

Is there a favorite film you've done that's gotten overlooked?
纵览你的作品,有你最喜欢的电影吗?

I've been in so many cult movies -- films that either became cult movies rather quickly or in a few years. I've always said I think the best picture I've ever been in was probably The Wicker Man. Even though it was slashed to bits, it's still a remarkable film. To this day, there are books coming out.
我参演了这么多流行影片——电影要么流行一阵子要么就能流行好几年。我总是说我认为我拍的最好的影片可能是《柳条人》。即使它倍受抨击,它仍然是一部非凡的影片。至今仍有书籍出版。

But I think probably the most important film I've done, which has not yet come out, and the one in which I had the greatest challenge, was a film I made in Pakistan. I played the founder of the nation, and the name of the film is the name of the man: Jinnah. I think that was probably the best thing I've ever done. It's already premiered in Pakistan, and it's been received with the most amazing acclaim.
但我认为我参演的最重要的影片,还没有被拍出来,而我参演的具有最大挑战性的影片,是我在巴基斯坦拍摄的一部影片。我扮演这个国家的奠基人,影片的名字就是这个人的名字:《Jinnah》。我认为这可能是我做过的最好的演出。这部影片早已在巴基斯坦进行了首映,得到了最令人吃惊的好评。

跟随库欣(Following Cushing)

Is it true that you knew descendants of the character you played on Young Indy?
你认识你在《少年印第安纳·琼斯》一剧中所扮演角色的后代,是真的吗?

Yes, I did. I played Ottokar Graf Czernin -- he was the Austrian Foreign Minister, and he tried to keep the last Emperor of Austria from sending this letter to the Kaiser seeking peace. He was a very devious, sharp, slippery customer. I knew many members of the Czernin family, one in particular called Manfred Czernin. He was in an organization in World War II called SOE, which stands for Special Operations Executive. I was in it myself. It was the British equivalent of OSS. And he was operating with the Italian partisans in Northern Italy around 1944, and I, with the pilot, went and collected him, and he came back to our Air Force base. I got to know him very well after World War II.
是的,我认识他们。我扮演的是Ottokar Graf Czernin——奥地利外交部长,他试图通过向正在寻找和平的德国皇帝送这封信,来保全奥地利的最后一位皇帝。他是一个非常偏狭、精明而狡猾的无赖。我认识Czernin家族的许多成员,特别是其中一个名叫Manfred Czernin的。二战期间他在一家简称为SOE的组织工作,这个词代表的是“特殊军事行动执行部”。我本人也在其中。这相当于英国的OSS(美国战略情报局)。他在1944年左右在意大利北部与意大利游击队合作,而我,和飞行员一起去接应他,他回到了我们的空军基地。二战后我和他才非常熟识起来。

So that was my first contact with a member of the Czernin family, and there I was playing one of his ancestors. I played him in this castle outside Prague in the snow in the winter, and I was very glad to do it. I thought everyone was very well cast and very good in it. It was directed by a man called Vic Armstrong, who I used to know as a stuntman.
所以这就是我和Czernin家族成员的第一次接触,而我正扮演他的一个先祖。我在一个冬天到布拉格郊外的这座城堡里扮演他,能这样做我很高兴。我觉得这部片子里的每个人都表演得很出色,角色分配得也合适。这是由一个叫Vic Armstrong的人导演的,我一直当他是个替身演员。

He was the stunt double for Indiana Jones in the films.
他在电影《印第安纳·琼斯》中是替身演员。

That I didn't know. When I did Bear Island up in Alaska in the winter of 1979, he was one of the stuntmen, and it wasn't very amusing to parachute in a wet suit into the sea in Alaska in the winter, but he did.
这我倒不知道。当我在1979年到阿拉斯加拍摄《熊岛》时,他是替身演员之一,在冬天身穿紧身潜水衣跳伞降落到阿拉斯加的海里可不是件非常有趣的事,可他做到了。

Your image is fairly strong among most moviegoers. Is there anything about you that we don't know that we might be surprised to learn?
你在绝大多数观众心目中的形象都十分坚毅。关于你是否有什么是我们不知道,知道了又会让我们大吃一惊的事?

Well, a lot of things -- but I'm not going to tell you! [Laughs] I'm sure there are all sorts of things people would like to know about me, which they're hopefully never going to know!
恩,有很多事——不过我不打算告诉你!(大笑)我可以肯定我有许多事是所有类型的人都想知道的,这些事他们永远没指望知道。

You did write an autobiography.
你确实写过一本自传。

Yes, it's available in the States. But that's as much as I'm prepared to tell people about myself. We all have two lives, particularly in my world: one is professional, the other is personal. As far as the professional life is concerned, the world has a right to ask questions, because they put their money down when they go to the movies. As far as my private life is concerned, they have no right to know anything at all, unless I make a fool of myself and behave badly, in which case it's my fault. It's amazing how frequently in films and television, and particularly pop and rock, one's life is an open book -- and a pretty dirty one sometimes, too.
是的,在美国可以买到。但这只是我准备告诉人们的那部分事。我们都有两份生活,尤其是在我的世界里:一部分是职业的,另一部分是个人的。至于受关注的职业生活部分,这个世界有权利问问题,因为当他们看电影时他们付了钱。至于受关注的私生活部分,他们根本没权利知道任何事,除非我愚弄了我自己,或是表现得很糟糕,在这种情况下就是我的错了。电影电视界,特别是流行乐和摇滚乐界的私人生活常常好象一本打开的书,这实在令人吃惊——有时这也是相当丑陋的一面。

What do you do to relax?
你做什么来放松自己?

I relax by pursuing my vocation. I think it was Brando who said an actor is only truly himself when he is acting. If it's working out correctly and properly, it's enormously relaxing afterwards -- not when you're doing it. I love music. I'm also a singer, and I've been making quite a few records recently, because I can sing opera as well as Sweeney Todd -- in fact I did that not very long ago. I did The King and I, I did It's Now or Never.
我靠从事我的职业来放松自己。记得白兰度说过,一个演员只有在他进行表演时才是真正的自己。如果这完全而彻底的有效,那么这之后就非常放松了——不是你工作的时候觉得放松。我热爱音乐。我也是个歌手,最近我制作了好几张专集,因为我的歌剧唱得和Sweeney Todd一样好——事实上我不久前就作了。我唱了《国王与我》,还有《现在或永不》。

I love books, I love to read. I love to do absolutely nothing sometimes, just look out of the window. I don't like going for walks, but I love walking on the golf course, because I love golf. Swimming I enjoy when it's hot and there are not too many people around. I don't like crowds and I never have. I love travelling to places I've never been to, particularly the north of Europe, like Norway and Northern Finland and Sweden, which I love, Because you don't see anyone for miles and miles -- emptiness, I love that. I relax by going to other countries I've never been to with my wife and seeing things that I've always wanted to see. I relax by listening to music or going to the opera, occasionally going to the theater, very seldom going to the cinema -- I prefer to see it in private, on video.
我热爱书籍,我喜欢阅读。有时我喜欢什么也不做,只是看着窗外。我不喜欢外出散步,但是我喜欢在高尔夫球场上漫步,因为我喜欢高尔夫。当天气很热而周围又没有太多人的话,我很喜欢游泳。我不喜欢人群,我永远也不会喜欢。我喜欢到我从未去过的地方旅行,特别是北欧,比如挪威,或是北部芬兰和瑞典,我喜欢这些地方,因为你在几平方英里之内都看不到一个人——空旷,我喜欢这样。我和我的妻子去从未去过的国家,看一直想看的事物,以此来放松自己。我靠听音乐或去歌剧院来放松一下,偶尔会去剧院,但很少去电影院——我宁愿在家看,看录象。

What was your impression of Star Wars when you first saw it?
当你第一次看《星球大战》时你是什么感觉?

I think the word is magic. It's as simple as that -- or as complicated. It appeals to the imagination of the audience, and the audience is frequently portrayed as not being over-intelligent. I think they're much more sophisticated than some people give them credit for, and they can detect an insincere performance or an inadequate film pretty rapidly.
我认为答案是魔术。这和魔术一样简单——或者说一样复杂。这需要观众的想象力,而观众通常被描述为不是那么聪明。我认为他们比某些人判定的要精明得多,观众能够非常快地辨别出一段虚假的表演或是一部不适当的影片。

I saw the first three when they came out, and I'll never forget seeing the first one. I was amazed by what I was seeing on the screen, and I couldn't understand how they did it. There were the aerial battles, which were quite phenomenal. The thing that struck me as being so extraordinary was the wizardry -- because that's the word. In The Lord of the Rings I'm a wizard, but in a Star Wars film, I am part of the wizardry and magic of the whole thing.
当第一个三部曲上映时我都看了,而我永远都不会忘记看第一部的时刻。我被我在银幕上看到的一切给镇住了,我想不出他们是怎么做到的。那里有极其非凡的太空大战。对我产生冲击的那种如此非凡的东西就是魔法——因为就是这个词(?)。在《魔戒》中我是一个法师,但在一部《星战》电影里,我是这整个魔法与魔术的一部分。

They created a whole new era in the cinema. They were not the first stories to be set in space, but the scale of imagination and the scale of production, and the impact it had on the whole world, every nationality and every language, was a first. There will ultimately be six, and it will be like a Homeric saga, on a vast scale.
他们在电影界创造了一整个新时代。他们不是第一个被安置在太空中的故事,但它想象力和作品质量的等级,以及它对整个世界,每个国家和每种语言所造成的冲击,都是第一位的。这里会有六部电影,这六部电影将会象一整部以更大规模展现的《荷马史诗》。

Did you talk to Peter Cushing about acting in Star Wars?
你和彼特·库欣谈论过关于在《星战》中演出的事吗?

Oh, yes I did. I remember when it came out, I wrote him a letter saying, "What on earth is a Grand Moff? And why is he called Tarkin?" He wrote back and said, "I have no idea!"
噢,我当然这样做了。记得刚公映的时候,我给他写了一封信,问他:“Grand Moff到底是什么东西?为什么他叫做塔金?”他回信给我说:“我一无所知!”

Were you and Cushing close off camera as well?
在摄影机后,你和库欣是否也一样亲密?

Very. He meant a great deal to me in my life, not just as an actor but as a person. We were very close friends, and I still miss him very much. That will be one very important reason why I will be so happy to do this picture. Because I will be following him.
非常亲密。他在我的生活中有重要的意义,不仅仅是作为一个演员,而且是作为一个人。我们是非常亲密的朋友,我仍然非常想念他。这将是我为什么会如此高兴地参演这部影片的一个非常重要的原因。因为我将跟随着他。

作者:Scott Chernoff,Pablo Hidalgo

原文网址:www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20011211/index.html

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 17:43 , Processed in 0.065436 second(s), 18 queries .