外环星域

原力
水晶

邦联

发表于 2009-8-8 19:46 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 August 于 2009-8-10 18:37 编辑

CHAPTER No. 11
第十一章

It was not far to the planet Pirin in the Locris sector, where the Kontag headquarters and factories were, yet even the few hours it took to get there were too many for Dooku. He had learned long ago how to conceal impatience, but he had not learned how to eliminate it.
Kontag公司的总部及工厂位于距此不远的Locris区Pirin星球,尽管只需几小时的航程,对于杜库来说却是漫长难熬。很久以前,杜库就学会了如何隐藏急躁,但他还没学会如何消除它。

Dooku had time to think on the way to the factory and decided that it would do them no good to demand anything. In his experience, a little subterfuge always worked better than direct confrontation.
在前往工厂的路上,杜库有充足的时间思考。他断定,直截了当的请求不会给他们带来任何好处。以他的经验来看,耍些花招总比直接遭遇收效快。

"Do we have a plan, Master?" Qui-Gon asked, breaking the long silence.
“我们有什么计划,师父?”魁刚打破了长久的沉默。

"Follow my lead," Dooku said. "We will pose as prospective clients. The main thing we need to do is get a look at the factory floor. If there is sabotage, perhaps we can pick up something."
“听我指挥,”杜库说,“我们将扮成客商,主要是趁机查看他们的工厂,如果真的有阴谋,也许我们能发现点什么蛛丝马迹。”

Dooku strode into the company offices. A recording rod flashed a holographic worker, a pretty young female. "Welcome to Kontag," the image said in a musical voice. "Please state your business and make yourself comfortable in our custom-designed seating that can be retrofitted into any cloud car."
杜库大步走进公司办公室。一只录音杆播放出一位美丽的女职员的全息影像:“欢迎光临Kontag。”全息图像的声音悦耳动听,“请说明你们的来意,并在我们专门为顾客设计的、可翻新装配任何飞船的座椅上稍候片刻。”

Dooku introduced himself and Qui-Gon and said that the Jedi were interested in a large-scale project to upgrade their security devices on spacecraft. Almost instantly, a salesperson materialized from an inner office.
杜库介绍了自己和魁刚,并称绝地武士团有意购进一大批安全设施来升级飞船。一位销售人员立刻从里面的办公室里走了出来。

"I am Sasana," she said. "We're so pleased that the Jedi have thought of Kontag for their needs. We thought your order preferred to handle security internally."
“我是Sasana,”她说,“我们很荣幸绝地能想到Kontag公司来满足你们的需求。我们还以为你们更倾向于依靠内部解决安全问题。”

"We are considering other options," Dooku said.
“我们也在考虑其他公司。”杜库说。

Sasana nodded. "Always wise. Let me show you what kind of top-notch security Kontag can provide." She handed Dooku a file identical to the one that Eero had showed them.
Sasana点点头,“当然,这很明智。让我展示一下我们能提供的高水平安全设备吧。”她递给杜库一份文件,和之前杜库在Eero那儿看到的一样。

Dooku pretended to look through it and handed it to Qui-Gon. "Interesting. Can you show us the factory?"
杜库装模作样地看完文件,把它传给魁刚,“不错。能带我们参观下工厂吗?”

Sasana's smile slipped. "That is an... unusual request."
Sasana的笑容僵在脸上:“那真是一个……不寻常的要求。”

Dooku's smile took the place of hers. "A deal breaker, I'm afraid. The Jedi are very particular."
这次轮到杜库微笑了:“恐怕我是个规则破坏者。绝地都是非常挑剔的。”

He could see that the visions of a big contract were dancing in front of Sasana's eyes. "Of course," she said finally. "This way."
透过Sasana的眼神,杜库可以洞悉到Sasana此刻内心激烈的矛盾斗争。“当然可以,”她最终说,“请跟我来。”

Sasana tried to control the pacing and thoroughness of the tour, but Dooku knew that once he got inside the factory he would see whatever he wished. They strolled down the aisles while droids flew or walked by. Panels were examined, sensor suites were worked on, and the hum of machinery made it difficult to talk. The tour ended at a prototype of a state-of-the-art speeder.
Sasana有意地控制着整个参观的节奏过程,但杜库清楚,只要他们一进入工厂,他就会看到他想要的东西。他们漫步在长廊里,不时有机器人飞过或从他们身边走过。在这里,控制板经过严格检查,传感器被安装上飞船,机器巨大的轰鸣声使得谈话变得困难。参观最后以一架华美的飞行器模型结束。

Dooku had seen enough. He told Sasana that they would be in touch and left.
杜库看到得足够了。他告诉Sasana,说他们会再联系她,然后起身告别。

As soon as they were outside, he looked at his Padawan. "Impressions?"
两人一到外面,杜库看着他的徒弟:“怎么样,很有趣吧?”

"Something isn't right," Qui-Gon said.
“有点不对劲。魁刚说。”

"Why is that?" Dooku asked.
“为什么?杜库问。”

"There is evidence both of prosperity and decline," Qui-Gon said. "The offices are luxurious, but there were empty work spaces, as though staff had been dismissed. The list of clients includes jobs in progress. Yet from the activity I saw, the amount of droids and material, they couldn't possibly be serving that number. And there were areas on the factory floor that indicated that machinery had once been there and had been removed."
“繁荣和衰败的迹象并存于工厂之内。”魁刚说,“办公区豪华奢侈,却有许多空闲的工作隔间,好像刚经过裁员。宣传单上的客户名单表明大量工程正在进展中。但从我看到的现象推断,机器人和原材料的数量,远远不满足不了客户的需求。并且工厂地面上有机器移动过的痕迹。”

"Excellent," Dooku said. "Conclusion?"
“好极了!”杜库称赞道,“结论?”

Qui-Gon hesitated. "They are concealing something, of that I have no doubt. But I don't know what it is."
魁刚稍作犹豫:“他们试图掩盖着什么,这点我敢肯定。但我不清楚它具体是什么。”

"If the client base is correct, the work is being done somewhere. Just not at this factory," Dooku said. "What I see is a once-wealthy company who fell on hard times and has turned to a cheaper factory to do the work they once did. The factory here is a sham. It is not where the real work is being done."
“如果客户数据是真实的,那么制造一定是在其他地方完成的,而不是在这个工厂里。”杜库说,“我的分析是,曾经辉煌的公司陷入困境,不得不寻找更廉价的工厂来替代他们的工作。这里的工厂只是个摆设,真正的制造过程不是在这完成的。”

"How can we discover the real factory?" Qui-Gon asked.
“那我们怎样才能发现真正的工厂呢?”魁刚问。

Dooku removed a sensor suite from underneath his cloak. "I think this might tell us something. Sensor suites always have a factory mark buried in their software. I took the liberty of removing it from the prototype." He drew out his datapad and inserted the suite, then tracked the information streaming across the screen. He pressed a few buttons. After only a moment, he smiled. "The Von-Alai factory planet," he said.
杜库从他的袍子里取出一个传感器。“也许这个可以给我们提供点信息。在传感器的内部软件里,通常会有生产厂家的商标。这是我顺手从飞行器模型上取下来的。”杜库取出数据板,插入传感器,然后浏览屏幕上涌出的数据。他按了几个按钮,不一会,杜库微笑着说:“是Von-Alai星球的工厂。”

Von-Alai had once been a cold planet covered with snow and ice. Its inhabitants were adept at foraging a living from the icy wastes. With the introduction of factories and toxic refuse, the climate had warmed, and periodic floods devastated the countryside. Instead of halting growth, more and more factories were built, and worker housing was built on raised platforms. The owners of the factories held political power, so the decision was made to adapt to the changing climate instead of limiting toxic outflow. As a result, the native plants died, floods were common, and a once-beautiful, silvery planet was now a soggy wasteland. The air was thick and tasted metallic. Pristine snow no longer fell, only a cold rain tainted by toxins.
Von-Alai星球曾经是个遍布冰雪的严寒星球。当地居民一度擅长在荒芜的冰原谋生。随着工厂的引入,有毒废料污染日益严重,气候也开始变暖,洪水周期性泛滥,冲毁了乡园。然而工厂的建造速度不但没有丝毫停滞,反而变本加厉,厂房就建造在凸起的平原上。这些工厂主大都手握政治实权,所以就作出了适应这里的气候,而不是限制有毒污染排放的决议。结果,当地寸草不生,洪水泛滥成灾,曾经美丽银白的星球变成一片潮湿的荒地。空气污浊,弥漫着金属的味道。再也没有洁净的白雪飘落,从天上落下来的只有被毒素污染过的冷雨。

Qui-Gon stood on the landing platform, breathing the yellow air, silently taking in the wasted planet. "What a terrible destiny," he said. "The Alains have lost their planet."
魁刚站在降落平台上,呼吸着黄色的空气,默默地打量着荒芜的星球。“多可怕的宿命啊,”他感叹道,“Alain人失去了本属于他们的星球。”

"Beings choose their own fate," Dooku said. "They could have fought for their planet, but their indifference and their greed made them passive. There was no war here, my young apprentice. Merely beings who did not choose to fight the power that ruled them."
“命运在于自己的选择,”杜库说,“他们本来可以为他们的星球奋战,是他们的冷漠贪婪使得他们陷入被动。这里没有战争,我年轻的徒弟。只有一群选择屈从于统治力量的人们。”

"Perhaps they tried and failed," Qui-Gon said quietly. "Then they are also weak, which is worse," Dooku said dismissively. "Come."
“也可能他们尝试过,却失败了,”魁刚轻声反驳。“那说明他们力量太弱,那就更糟糕了,”杜库轻蔑地说,“走吧。”

This time, Dooku thought it better not to announce their approach. He simply walked through the factory gates. There was no security.
这次,杜库认为最好不做声张,隐秘行事。他走进工厂大门,没有保安阻挡他们。

They entered a clamorous production facility. Grease stained the floor and accumulated in puddles. The ceiling was low and the air was dense and hot. Row after row of various workstations unfolded down the long space. Battered droids wielded servodrivers and airpumps. The workers looked half-starved and unhealthy, and Dooku saw that most of them were quite young.
他们进入了一个喧闹繁忙的生产车间。地面污迹斑斑,水坑中也漂浮着一层油污。低矮的天花板下,空气闷热粘稠,一排排生产操作台竖直地延伸开来。监工机器人手持伺服驱动器和空气泵走动巡视。工人们看起来很不健康,且处于半饥饿状态,杜库发现他们中大多数人都相当年幼。

"They are using children," Qui-Gon said, shocked. "Under these conditions! This violates galactic laws."
“他们竟然雇佣童工,”魁刚震惊地说,“而且还是在如此差的工作环境下!这违反了银行系法律。”

"There are many such places, unfortunately," Dooku said.
“不幸的是,这样的地方还多着呢,”杜库说。

"We must do something!" Qui-Gon said, his gaze anguished as it roamed the factory. "They look as though they are ill and starving."
“我们一定要采取点行动!”魁刚说。他的目光充满了悲悯的痛苦,环视整个工厂。“他们看起来又饥饿又疲倦。”

"Keep your focus on the mission, my young apprentice," Dooku said sharply. "We cannot save everyone in the galaxy."
“专注于任务,我年轻的徒弟,”杜库尖锐地指出,“我们并不能拯救银河系里每一个人。”

"But Master - "
“可师父——”

"Qui-Gon." Dooku only had to say his Padawan's name as a warning. Qui-Gon's mouth snapped shut.
“魁刚!”作为警告,杜库只需喊出他徒弟的名字。魁刚的嘴立刻紧闭不语。

A plump human male, his sparse hair matted with sweat and grease, came running toward them. "Excuse me, who are you? Never mind, you're trespassing, so leave."
一个胖胖的男性人类跑到他们面前,稀疏的头发中参杂着油脂和汗水:“请问你们是谁?对不起,你们擅闯禁地,请走吧。”

Dooku did not move.
杜库没做任何反应。

"Excuse me, you're not moving," the man said with a frown. "Do you want me to call security?"
“抱歉,你们得马上离开,”男人皱着眉头说,“难道非要我去叫保安吗?”

"Please do," Dooku said. "Perhaps we can discuss the number of galactic laws you are breaking."
“可以啊,”杜库说,“也许我们可以探讨一下你一共违反了几条银河系法律。”

The man stepped back. "You're not Senate inspectors, are you?"
那男人后退几步:“你不是议会的探子吧?”

"We need information," Dooku said.
“我们需要点信息,”杜库说。

"Well, you've come to the wrong place," the man replied.
“哦,那你们可来错地方了。”那人答道。

Dooku looked around the factory pleasantly. "You are busy, I see."
杜库心情愉悦地扫视四周:“我知道,你很忙。”

The man nodded warily.
那人警惕地点点头。

"It most likely would not please your superiors if the factory was shut down under your watch."
“如果工厂在你手里倒闭,我想你的上司会很生气。”

"You have the authority to do that?"
“你有权力那么做吗?”

Dooku shrugged. "Child labor. Dangerous conditions. I see grease pools on the floor, toxic compounds left open to the air.... There are a dozen violations I can see without even turning my head."
杜库耸耸肩,“童工、危险的工作环境。我可看见地面上的水坑、油污,有毒化合物直接暴露在空气中……甚至不用回头,我就能数出一堆你违法的地方。”

"What do you want? Money? We pay our bribes, but I have an emergency stash."
“你想要什么?钱吗?我们交纳贿赂,不过我也有个紧急资金库。”

"As I said, merely information. Who owns the factory?" Dooku asked.
“如我所说,我只要一点信息。谁是这工厂的老板?”杜库问。

"I just send in reports. I don't know anything - "
“我只是定期上交报告,我什么都不知道——”

"Who do you send reports to?" Dooku was getting impatient. He fixed his gaze on the manager.
“你向谁交报告?”杜库越来越不耐心了,他死盯着这位经理。

"A company... I send them to a company.... The name of it is Caravan."
“一家公司……我把报告交给一家公司……名叫Caravan的公司。”

Caravan. The name of the holographic cruiser Lorian had designed. He had gone to sleep dreaming of the places he would travel in it.
Caravan——Lorian小时设计的全息巡航舰的名字。他时常梦想着乘坐这艘飞船游遍各地.

That was all Dooku needed to know. He reflected on how smart and simple the scheme was. Behind the screen of a company, Lorian cut corners on security, then exploited his knowledge of a ship's vulnerability in order to attack it.
这就是杜库所需的答案。他回想着这个简单而聪明的阴谋计划。通过这家公司,Lorian在安全系统上做了手脚,然后利用他所知道的飞船缺陷发动攻击。

He heard a rustle behind him and turned to see Eero threading his way through the machinery toward them.
杜库忽然听见身后沙沙的声音,他转过身,看到Eero穿过成排的机器走向他们。

"Great. Another inspector," the manager muttered.
“不错,又来了一个探子,”那个经理嘀咕道。

"I had to come," Eero said. "I followed you here - onto the transport and now to this facility. I can't bear to hear that the firm I hired to protect Senator Annon ended up being the reason he was kidnapped. I've got to help you catch the pirate and free the Senator. It's the only way."
“我必须要来,”Eero解释说,“我跟着你们到这里——先上了船,然后到这儿。我简直难以忍受,我雇佣来保护议员公司竟然成为绑架议员的帮凶。我来和你们一起抓住海盗,解救议员。这是唯一的办法。”

Eero was sweaty and pale. "You look as though you need to lie down," Dooku said. Clearly, his old friend had gone to great lengths to follow them. Dooku admired his tenacity - and was suspicious of it as well.
Eero满头大汗,显得苍白虚弱。“看起来你还需要躺下来休息,”杜库说。很明显,他的老朋友为了赶上他们费了不少力气。杜库欣赏他的坚韧品格——不过也让他有所怀疑。

Eero shook his head. "I've found a factory worker here who is willing to talk," he said. "He says the pirate makes regular visits here. He might know where his hideout is."
Eero摇摇头。“我找到一个愿意说实话的工人,”他说,“他说海盗定期来这里巡视,他可能知道海盗的藏身之地。”

The manager had faded back, anxious to disappear. "Let's talk to the worker," Dooku said.
那个经理不知什么时候抽身离开,消失得无影无踪了。“我们找那个工人谈谈吧,”杜库说。

He and Qui-Gon followed Eero through the aisles. No one looked at them as they walked. No doubt the workers had been punished for lagging behind, because they worked doggedly, without raising their heads.
他和魁刚跟随Eero穿过过道,甚至没有一个工人看他们一眼。毫无疑问,工人们以前肯定是因偷懒而被惩罚过,所以他们都只顾埋头工作,连头都敢不抬。

Eero stopped suddenly and looked around. "Where did he go? He was right here." Craning his neck, he took a few steps and disappeared around a large bank of machines.
Eero突然停下来,左右张望。“他去哪了?刚才还在这的。”Eero伸长了脖子,向前走去,消失在一大排机器后。

Dooku felt the rush of the Force as it warned him. He reached for his lightsaber. Qui-Gon was only a fraction of a second behind him.
杜库忽然感到原力的剧烈波动,就像在警告他什么。他手握住光剑。魁刚就身后离他不远处。

Colicoid Eradicator droids wheeled around a corner and headed for them, blasters at the ready. Dooku held his lightsaber aloft.
Colicoid Eradicator机器人从角落里滚动出来,包围了他们,爆能枪蓄势待发。杜库高举起他的光剑。

"Master." Qui-Gon's voice was urgent. "We can't fight them. Look around."
“师父!”魁刚的声音听起来十分急迫。“我们不能与他们战斗。看看周围。”

Dooku surveyed the area around them. Child workers were everywhere here, no doubt because their smaller fingers were useful for work on sensors. If the Jedi engaged the Eradicators in battle, the blaster fire would spray the workers. They would have nowhere to hide.
杜库仔细一看,他们四周都是童工,无疑他们小小的手指能够更方便地加工传感器。如果他们与这些机器人交战,爆能枪的炮火将不可避免地殃及童工——他们将无处可藏。

Still, Dooku did not drop his lightsaber. He had no doubt that Lorian had arranged this. He knew that Jedi would not fight if it meant endangering innocent lives - especially children's lives. He would force Dooku to surrender. But he would never surrender to Lorian!
可杜库依然紧握着光剑不放。他确信这是Lorian精心安排的。Lorian知道绝地在有可能伤害无辜的情况下是不会战斗的——特别是儿童的生命。他想利用这种方式逼迫杜库投降,但他绝不能向Lorian投降!

"Master." There was steel in Qui-Gon's voice. His lightsaber was already deactivated and at his side.
“师父。”魁刚的语气坚定如钢。他的光剑已经熄灭,静静地放在身旁。

Dooku deactivated his lightsaber. He felt helpless rage take him over as the droids took them into custody. In his heart, he vowed revenge.
杜库熄灭光剑。机器人将他们押往监禁地,杜库感到绝望的愤怒向他席卷而来。他在心中暗暗发誓,要报仇雪恨。

评分

查看全部评分

没有所谓命运这个东西,一切无非是考验、惩罚或补偿。

主题

帖子

精华

禁止发言

原力
水晶
发表于 2009-8-8 19:50 | 显示全部楼层
支持  希望中文段落再加长些 否则鸟语和中文混在一起看着很难受

主题

帖子

精华

副管理员

原力
水晶

克隆人汉化组其他

发表于 2009-8-8 19:55 | 显示全部楼层
Eero满天大汗,
--------
有个错字,改成“满头大汗”吧。

支持  希望中文段落再加长些 否则鸟语和中文混在一起看着很难受
rockman9 发表于 2009-8-8 19:50

这样就很好,看了中文,有觉得不对头的地方马上就可以找到对应的英文,如果楼主有些译得不当的地方可以很方便地指出。
Do,  or  do  not.
There  is  no  try.
Train  yourself  to  let  go  of  everything  you  fear  to  lose.

絕地學徒

主题

帖子

精华

扩张区域

原力
水晶

绝地

发表于 2009-8-9 08:28 | 显示全部楼层
譯得不錯,現在杜庫快成黑暗絕地了......
星球大戰是生命,看足球是食糧
@_@是我專用的符號,不是代表@@,不是代表暈...

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

西斯

发表于 2009-8-9 10:05 | 显示全部楼层
再来支持楼主……

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

西斯

发表于 2009-8-9 23:17 | 显示全部楼层
怎么感觉杜库经常被俘啊,动画里也是
先顶一下

主题

帖子

精华

超级版主

原力
水晶
发表于 2009-8-10 18:38 | 显示全部楼层
我在每段之间多加了一个空行,这样看起来可能会更舒服些。

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

邦联

楼主| 发表于 2009-8-10 21:33 | 显示全部楼层
多谢Agust大人!看起来果然舒服多啦~~~
没有所谓命运这个东西,一切无非是考验、惩罚或补偿。

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶
发表于 2010-1-24 18:23 | 显示全部楼层
什么是Colicoid Eradicator机器人?

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 23:08 , Processed in 0.073059 second(s), 20 queries .