精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

邦联

发表于 2009-7-29 19:12 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
CHAPTER No. 10
第十章

I will not think of this now, Dooku told himself. If I think of Lorian, I will lose control.
现在还不是想这些的时候,杜库告诉他自己。我一想起Lorian,就会失去控制。
The ship was dying. Eero could be dead. The first thing to do was check on him. They ran back to the safe room, where he was struggling to rise.
飞船快要不行了。Eero也有可能死了。第一件事就是赶快查看他。他们跑回安全室,看见Eero正挣扎着要站起来。
"Lay back," Qui-Gon said gently. He folded a cloak and placed it beneath Eero's head.
“躺好,”魁刚温和地说。他折叠了一件外衣,垫在Eero头下。
Eero's eyes fluttered. "The Senator?"
Eero目光游移,“议员呢?”
"Gone," Dooku said.
“被带走了,”杜库答道。
"We have to go after them," Eero said, trying to get to his feet.
“我们得去追赶他们,”Eero说着又想站起来。
"We have more immediate problems," Dooku said. "The ship is falling apart. And you don't look so well yourself."
“我们现在面临更多急迫的问题,”杜库说,“飞船要崩溃了,你自己的身体看起来也不行。”
"I'm fine," Eero said. He stood quickly, then immediately crashed to the floor.
“我很好,”Eero辩解着,他猛地站来,又马上体力不支,倒在地上。
"Obviously," Dooku said dryly. "We'll send someone for you. In the meantime, I have a feeling the pilot needs our help."
“显然,”杜库冷冷地说,“我们先要派人来接你。我有种预感,飞行员需要我们的帮助。”

They could feel the cruiser shudder and list to one side as they ran to the cockpit. The pilot was feverishly flipping switches. "I've got the maintenance droid working on the electrical systems, but the sublight is going."
他们奔向驾驶室,一路上飞船不停地抖动并向一侧倾斜。飞行员正发疯地敲打开关:“我已经派维修机器人去修理电力系统了,但是下面的照明灯还是不亮。”
"Where's the nearest port?" Dooku asked, striding to stand behind the pilot's seat.
“距此最近的港口是哪?”杜库问道,大步走到飞行员座位后。
"I'll check," Qui-Gon offered, moving to the onboard computer. In only a few seconds, he called out, "Voltare spaceport." He read out the coordinates. "Master, I can try to work on the sublight mainframe control."
“我去查,”魁刚说着走到计算机前。只用了几秒钟,他就找到了:“Voltare空间站。”魁刚读出相关内容。“师傅,我能试着修好底部照明灯的主控装置。”
"Do it." Dooku had no patience for the details of technology. He had already recognized that his apprentice was better at repairs than he.
“去吧。”杜库没有耐心去了解技术上的细节问题。他早就知道他的徒弟在修理上比他做的更杰出。
"What can I do?" the pilot asked, his eyes darting nervously to the controls.
“那我做什么呢?”飞行员问,双眼紧张地盯着控制器。
"Just keep us flying," Dooku said.
“保持飞行就可以了。”杜库说。
Qui-Gon released a control panel in the floor and jumped down to work on the system controls. "I think I can fuse it," he called. "If we don't push the engines, we might be able to make it."
魁刚打开地板上的一块控制面板,跳到下面去修理控制系统。“我想我能把它融合到一起,”他从下面喊道,“如果不推动引擎,我们也许能成功。”
"Push them? I'll baby them," the pilot muttered.
“推动引擎?我不会动它的。”飞行员嘀咕道。
Qui-Gon vaulted out of the chamber and switched places with the co-pilot. "I'll keep my eye on the warning lights. You just fly," he told the pilot.
魁刚跳出来,坐到另一个飞行员的座位上。“我照看警报灯,你只管飞行。”他告诉飞行员。

With the white-knuckled pilot gripping the controls and the steady presence of Qui-Gon in the co-pilot's chair, the ship finally limped into the Voltare spaceport.
关节发白的飞行员紧握控制器操纵飞船,魁刚在一旁镇定地监视,飞船最终一瘸一拐地飞入Voltare空间站。
Eero was rushed to the med clinic. The other passengers and the pilot headed for the spaceport cantina.
Eero被急速送往医疗站。其他乘客和飞行员都到空间站的小酒店里去了。
Dooku and Qui-Gon sat in the cockpit. Qui-Gon kept a respectful silence, realizing that his Master needed time to think.
杜库和魁刚依然坐在驾驶室里。魁刚恭敬地保持沉默,他知道他的师父需要点时间来思考问题。
At last, Dooku had a chance to consider what he knew.
杜库终于有机会思考分析他已知的事实了。
Lorian. How could he fall so low? Once a bright Padawan, now a space pirate, preying on Senators he had once been trained to protect.
Lorian,他怎么能沦落到这种地步?曾经聪明勤奋的绝地学徒,现在却变成一个星际海盗,抢劫他曾经受训要保护的议员。
Lorian still had Force abilities, which explained the split-second timing of his laser cannon attack. It wasn't as though Dooku could have guessed, but he should have been more alert.
Lorian还留有原力技能,这刚好解释了他在短暂时间内准确的激光炮射击。就算杜库当时没猜到这一点,可他原本应该更加谨慎些。

Enough. Jedi did not waste time on what they should have done.
够了。绝地不会在已成事实的事情上浪费时间。
What now? A momentary flame of fury burst in Dooku as he thought of his old friend on his ship, laughing at how he'd outmaneuvered him.
现在怎么办?一想到他的老朋友现在正坐在自己的飞船内嘲笑他的失算,一瞬间,狂怒之火突然在杜库心中爆发燃烧。
He controlled it. Anger was a waste of time. Action was what he needed.
他强压下它。愤怒也是白费时间,他需要的是行动。
Because Lorian could not win.
因为他决不能让Lorian赢。
"We should contact the Jedi Council," Qui-Gon said.
“我们应该与绝对委员会取得联系。”魁刚提议道。
Of course they should contact the Council. That was standard procedure. But if they contacted the Council, Dooku would have to tell them that he had no doubt that Lorian Nod was now a space pirate, and had kidnapped Senator Blix Annon right under his nose. That was something that Dooku could not do.
当然,他们理应联系委员会——那是标准程序。但是如果他们现在联系委员会,杜库将不得不告诉他们,他敢肯定Lorian现在已经是个海盗,而且就在他的眼皮底下绑架了Blix议员。杜库决不能那么做。
The Council didn't have to know yet, anyway. What would they do? Merely tell him to proceed. They wouldn't send another Jedi team at this stage. They would trust that Dooku and Qui-Gon could handle it.
无论如何,委员会现在不必知道详情。那他们该怎么办?就告诉委员会一切进展正常。他们现阶段也不会派其他绝地来,他们相信杜库和魁刚有能力解决问题。

"Master?"
“师父?”
"Yes, Padawan," Dooku said. "We will contact the Jedi Council. All in good time." What he needed to do was find the Senator before anyone knew he was missing. "But it would be better to contact them when we know where we are going. When it comes to a kidnapping, speed is the most important factor. We are in a position to find the Senator. We must act quickly."
“是的,我的徒弟,”杜库回过神来,“我们会尽早联系绝地委员会。”他要做的就是在有人发现议员失踪前解救出议员。“可是,当我们想好我们去哪里后再与他们取得联系不是更好吗?遇到绑架时,速度是最重要的。我们必须先找到议员下落,抓紧时间赶快行动。”
Dooku remembered from the data file that the pirate usually waited twenty-four hours before releasing his ransom demands.
杜库记起数据文件上说,海盗在提出赎金要求前,通常会等待24小时。
His comlink signaled, and he saw that Yoda was trying to contact him. He placed the comlink back in his utility belt. "We should maintain comlink silence from now on," he told Qui-Gon. "All of our energies need to be focused on our search."
这时他的通讯器响了,他看到是尤达想联系他。他把通讯器放回到腰带里。“从现在起,我们得让通讯器保持静音。”他告诉魁刚,“我们所有的精力必须集中到搜索上。”
Qui-Gon nodded, his face showing nothing of what he felt. If he thought it was odd to maintain comlink silence, he wouldn't utter a word or even twitch an eyebrow.
魁刚点点头,从他的表情丝毫看不出他的真实想法。即使他觉察出通讯器静音这一举动的古怪之处,他也不会说一句话,甚至连眉毛都不会皱一下。

"What's our first step, Master?" he asked. "Until we get a ransom demand, we don't have a place to start."
“我们第一步做什么,师父?”他问道。“除非我们收到赎金请求,否则我们将无从下手。”
"There is always a place to start. Go over the battle in your mind, Qui-Gon. If you examine every detail, you will find at least one clue to follow. Try to remember anything that seemed out of order or doesn't make sense."
“总有可以入手的地方。仔细回想一遍战斗过程,魁刚。如果你推敲过每个细节,你至少会发现一条可供追踪的线索。试着回想下那些似乎不对劲或是无足轻重的细节。”
Dooku waited, watching his Padawan. Qui-Gon's gaze was remote. He could tell that his Padawan was looking out at the busy spaceport without seeing it. He was reliving the battle. Dooku already knew what his first step would be. But telling Qui-Gon would not help his Padawan learn. Qui-Gon had an excellent mind. He could analyze data rapidly and organize it to reach a conclusion.
杜库等待着,注视着他的徒弟。魁刚的眼神变得遥远迷离,杜库不用看,就可以判断出他的徒弟正望向窗外繁忙的空间站,在头脑中再现着当时的战斗过程。杜库早已算好下一步怎么走,不过直接告诉魁刚无助于他的学习。魁刚头脑聪慧,他能迅速分析数据,并且有效地组织起来得出结论。
Dooku had to wait less than a minute.
杜库只需稍等片刻。

"The energy shield failed," Qui-Gon said. "And the armor plating peeled off. If the Senator really used the best security outfitters, that doesn't seem likely. The cannon fire wasn't prolonged enough to explain it. "
“能源护盾坏了,”魁刚说,“而且飞船装甲脱落。如果议员当真装配了最先进的保安系统,就不会那样。大炮火力抵抗的时间很短,也证明了这一点。”
"Good," Dooku approved.
“很好,”杜库赞同道。
"There must be serious flaws in the ship's armor and shields," Qui-Gon went on. "And they were able to blast through the safe room doors using conventional explosive devices."
“一定是飞船的装甲和护盾存在严重缺陷,”魁刚继续分析道,“所以海盗用常规的爆破装置就能轰开安全室的大门。”
"And what does that tell you?"
“那又说明什么?”
"That the Senator was lying to us, or has been cheated."
“说明议员对我们说了谎,或者他本身被骗了。”
"And was the pirate lucky, or smart?"
“那么,是不是海盗很幸运,或是身手敏捷?”
It took Qui-Gon less than a moment to understand. "The pirate worked so fast that he had to be aware of the ship's vulnerabilities."
魁刚恍然大悟:“海盗之所以行动得如此迅速,就是因为他们清楚飞船的弱点。”
"Perhaps. Let's look over the data file again." Dooku reached into his travel pack and extracted the slender holofile. He accessed it and leafed through the reports of previous kidnappings. Qui-Gon read over his shoulder.
“极有可能。我们再来看看数据文件。”杜库从他的旅行包里抽出一个薄薄的全息文件,他打开它,翻看最近几起绑架案的报告。魁刚站在他身后一同观看。
"There's a pattern," he said. "The pilots report malfunctions in security, or failures they can't explain."
“这有一个案例,”他说,“飞行员报告了安全系统的故障,以及他们无法解释的现象。”
"Nothing catastrophic enough to raise suspicions," Dooku noted. "First of all, the pilots and security officers are too interested in covering up their own failures. And second of all, everyone is focusing on the kidnapping, not how it occurred."
“没有足够的灾难性事件引起人们的怀疑,”杜库解释说,“首先,飞行员和负责安全的官员们都忙于掩饰自己的过错,其次,每个人都将注意力集中在绑架本身上,没人注意到它是怎么发生的。”

Dooku knew something else, something he would not share with his Padawan. Lorian took calculated risks. He did not like surprises. It made sense that he would somehow find a way to attack a ship that he already knew had a flawed security system.
杜库还知晓另外一些东西,一些他不能与他的徒弟分享的内情。Lorian精于算计,不会轻易冒险,他不喜欢惊险。因此他极有可能想方设法袭击那些他已经知道弱点的飞船。
"With all this information, what would your first step be?" he asked Qui-Gon.
“有了这些信息,你的第一步会是什么?”他问魁刚。
"Find out where the ship was outfitted with its security devices," Qui-Gon said promptly. "Go there and investigate whether there is a connection. It will be difficult without the space pirate's identity, but maybe we'll turn up something." Qui-Gon hesitated. "There is something else.... I don't know how to say this."
“找到飞船装配安全系统的地点。”魁刚迅速做答,“然后到那里调查两者是否有所关联。不知道海盗的身份也许会很困难,不过我们可能会从中发现点线索。”魁刚有些犹豫,“还有一些其他的……我不知道我该不该讲。”
"Just say it, Padawan."
“尽管说出来,我的徒弟。”
"Something I am picking up from you," Qui-Gon said. "Anger? Something out of proportion to what happened."
“一些我从您身上感受到的,”魁刚说,“是愤怒吗?一种对已发生事情的过激反应。”
There was that irritating living Force connection again. "You are mistaken, my young apprentice," Dooku snapped. "Let us focus on the matter at hand."
又是那烦人的生命原力感应。“你误会了,我年轻的徒弟。”杜库严肃地说,“现在让我们集中精神处理眼前的事。”
"Yes, Master."
“是的,师父。”
Dooku would tell Qui-Gon eventually, but not yet. If Qui-Gon knew that a former Padawan was involved, he would wonder why they weren't contacting the Temple immediately. Dooku wanted Lorian in custody before the Council found out the details. When Dooku's name was spoken throughout the Temple, it would be in the name of glory, not humiliation.
杜库最终会告诉魁刚事情的始末,但现在不行。如果魁刚得知一个前绝地学徒参与了绑架,他会怀疑他们为什么不立刻联系绝地圣殿。在绝地委员会发现什么蛛丝马迹之前,杜库想逮捕Lorian。当杜库的名字响彻绝地圣殿时,它将永远伴随着荣誉的光环,而不是耻辱。

Pale and weak, Eero's head shake was surprisingly vigorous. "That's impossible," he said. "I myself arranged the security upgrades. I chose the most renowned company for vessel security - Kontag. I have an extensive file on them, I did my research. If you could get me my travel bag - " Eero pointed to a bag resting near his clothes.
虽然苍白虚弱,Eero摇头的动作却格外有力。“不可能,”他说,“是我亲自主持了安全系统升级,我选择了最著名的飞船安全系统公司——Kontag,我对这家公司了如指掌,而且之前我还做了大量调研。麻烦你帮我拿来我的旅行包——”Eero指向一个在他衣物旁边的包。
Dooku handed it to him and he extracted a holofile. "Here. Just look. They are experts."
杜库递给他,他取出一个全息文件,“在这,你们看看,他们都是专家。”
Dooku flipped through the file. It was a promotional piece that Kontag gave to prospective customers. He saw long lists of clients, and he recognized the names. Descriptions of highly technical systems, images of the factory floor. It was impressive. He himself had heard of Kontag. They were justly renowned for their excellent security systems and were often linked to the Techno Union. He couldn't imagine that there could be sabotage at one of their plants.
杜库翻阅着文件,是份Kontag公司发给潜在顾客的促销宣传单。他看见一长串客户的名单,许多名字他都认识。高技术系统的说明,工厂大楼的图片——相当了不起的一家公司,就连他自己也听说过Kontag公司的大名。它凭借着他们生产的卓越的安全系统闻名于世,并与技术联盟保持着密切往来。他难以想象在这样一家公司里,怎么会出现针对于一架飞船的阴谋破坏。

Nevertheless, if something looked wrong, it had to be wrong.
尽管如此,如果事情有异常理,那么它里面一定大有文章。
"Qui-Gon, see if you can look up the histories of the ships that were attacked," he told his Padawan. "They should be in the file."
“魁刚,看看你能不能找到受袭击飞船的历史记录,”他对他的徒弟说,“应该在文件里。”
Qui-Gon accessed their data holofile and quickly flipped through it. "They were all serviced by Kontag," he said, looking up at Dooku.
魁刚打开数据全息文件,快速地浏览。“都是Kontag公司提供的。”他说着抬头看着杜库。
"There has to be a connection," Dooku said.
“这两者之间肯定有联系。”杜库说。
Dooku stepped away from Eero's bedside and used his comlink to contact Kontag headquarters. But after questioning a number of officials, he got nowhere. He shut his comlink in disgust.
杜库从Eero的床边走开,使用Eero的通讯器联系Kontag公司总部。询问过许多官员后,他什么有用的信息也没得到。杜库反感地关闭通讯器。
"All security information is confidential. I'm not surprised. That's how a company dealing in security has to operate."
“所有的安全信息都是保密的。我一点也不惊讶。做安全系统的公司必须那样运作。”
"If they won't tell us what we need to know, what can we do?" Qui-Gon asked.
“如果他们不肯告诉我们想要的信息,怎么办?”魁刚问。
Dooku rose smoothly. "They will tell us what we need to know. But they will not know they are doing it."
杜库慢慢站起身,“他们会告诉我们想要的信息的,只是他们本身察觉不到而已。”
没有所谓命运这个东西,一切无非是考验、惩罚或补偿。

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

西斯

发表于 2009-7-30 10:54 | 显示全部楼层
再来支持楼主……

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶
发表于 2009-8-1 13:20 | 显示全部楼层
真是幸苦了!那么长的小说,还把原文贴上来,顶一个!

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 23:58 , Processed in 0.060240 second(s), 19 queries .