外环星域

原力
水晶

帝国克隆人汉化组

发表于 2013-8-17 16:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 灏客 于 2013-8-31 14:27 编辑

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
出场人物:

Sergeant KAL SKIRATA, mercenary (male Mandalorian)
卡尔·斯科拉塔军士,佣兵(曼达洛人,男性)
Sergeant WALON VAU, mercenary (male Mandalorian)
瓦隆·沃军士,佣兵(曼达洛人,男性)
Null ARC Trooper Captain N-11 ORDO
零级ARC部队N-11 奥多上尉
Null ARC Trooper Lieutenant N-7 MEREEL
零级ARC部队N-7 梅里尔中尉

Republic Commandos:
共和国突击队:

Omega Squad:
欧米茄小队:
RC-1309 NINER
RC-1309 奈尔
RC-1136 DARMAN
RC-1136 达尔曼
RC-8015 FI
RC-8015 菲
RC-3222 ATIN
RC-3222 阿廷

Delta Squad:
德尔塔小队:
RC-1138 BOSS
RC-1138 老大
RC-1162 SCORCH
RC-1262 焦痕
RC-1140 FIXER
RC-1140 固定器
RC-1107 SEV
RC-1207 赛文

Clone Trooper CT-5108/8843 CORR
克隆人士兵CT-5108/8843 科尔
General BARDAN JUSIK, Jedi Knight (male human)
巴尔丹·尤塞克,将军,绝地武士(人类,男性)

Captain JALLER OBRIM, Senate Guard, seconded to Coruscant Security Force Anti-Terrorism Unit (male human)
雅莱·奥布瑞姆队长,议会卫队,科洛桑安保部队反恐组(人类,男性)
General ETAIN TUR-MUKAN, Jedi Knight (female human)
艾坦·特尔-穆坎将军,绝地武士(人类,女性)
General ARLIGAN ZEY, Jedi Master (male human)
阿里甘·泽伊,绝地大师(人类,男性)
ENACCA, associate of Skirata (female Wookiee)
埃娜卡,斯基拉塔的副手(乌奇族,女性)
QIBBU, entrepreneur (male Hutt)
奇布,企业家(赫特人,男性)
LASEEMA, employee of Qibbu (female Twi'lek)
拉茜玛,奇布的雇员 (提列克,女性)
BESANY WENNEN, a GAR logistics employee (female human)
碧萨妮·文纳 大共和军后勤雇员(人类,女性)

注:我大概半个月一次更新一次大概一章,差不多了各位可以提醒我
      也欢迎大家来找茬,新人新帖难免有错误~谢谢
           第一章由侧卫帮助翻译,特此感谢

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

帝国克隆人汉化组

楼主| 发表于 2013-8-17 16:18 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 灏客 于 2014-10-10 12:06 编辑

PROLOGUE

Republic Commando covert insertion on Fest, Atrivis sector, Outer Rim, ten months after Geonosis
共和国突击队秘密在费斯特星系潜入,阿特里维斯星区,外环,吉奥诺西斯战役十个月后。
Private journal of RC-8015, "Fi"
RC-8015,“菲”的个人日记
You have to see the funny side of things in the army. I think they have a real sense of humor in Defense Procurement, too.
在军队里你会不避免地看见很多有趣的东西。我觉得他们在国防采购上更有一种独特的幽默感。
"So," I ask. "How long ago did you put in a request for black stealth armor?"
“所以”我问到。“你大概是在多久之前被要求穿上黑色匿迹铠甲的?”
"Seven standard months," says Darman, staring out the gunship's crew bay onto an unbroken plain of snow. White snow. The freezing wind is whipping flurries of it into the open bay. "When we got back from Qiilura."
“七个标准月之前,”达尔曼说, 凝视着炮艇乘员舱外一片无暇的雪原。洁白的雪。冰冷的风裹挟着雪吹到敞开的船舱。“那时我们刚从奎卢雅返回。”
"And now they issue it to us? To do a raid on Fest? The whole planet's covered in snow from pole to pole."
“而现在他们把盔甲配备给我们?为了突击费斯特星系?这整个星球都被冰雪所覆盖着。”
I can hear the gunship pilot laughing over the comlink circuit. He can't resist it. "Want to borrow my armor? It's nice and white."
我可以听到炮艇驾驶员的笑声从通讯器回路里传来。他忍不住笑了。“想借我的铠甲吗?它可是又好又白。”
Yes, they've deployed us in black Katarn armor. It'll take a direct hit from laser cannon to put a dent in us, but it would be nice to have the comfort of camouflage when we hit the ground.
没错,他们给我们装备了黑色“卡塔恩级”护身装甲,虽然激光炮会直接击中我们并在护甲上留下一个弹坑,但是在落地时给我们一个舒适的伪装还是不错的。
Even Atin's laughing. But Niner, who tries to take the place of Sergeant Kal and reassure us it's all going to be okay, is not. He's worried that we've run out of luck for this mission.
就连阿廷都笑了。但奈尔,那个尝试去取代卡尔中士和向我们保证一切都会好起来的人,并没有笑。他在担心我们会在这次任务用尽所有的运气。
And so am I. Republic Commando losses in the first year of the war are running at 50 percent. Today we have to infiltrate a Separatist factory developing some new supermetal called phrik-whatever that is-and carry out a little asset denial, known in the trade as blowing stuff up. It's not a complicated mission: avoid droids, get in, lay charges in the processing plant and the foundry, avoid droids, get out. And then press the detonator.
我也同让如此。共和国突击队在战争的头一年已经折损过半。如今我们得渗透一个正在研发一些称为弗里克的新型超金属——管它是什么呢——的分离势力工厂,并且做一些在业内被称为“炸光光”的资产抹除行动。这并不是一个复杂的任务:躲开机器人,潜入,在加工厂和铸造厂里放置炸藥,躲开机器人,离开。然后按下起爆器。
One of Captain Ordo's Null ARC trooper brothers found this place: Clone Intelligence Units, they call them. I must write to thank the di'kut sometime.
奥多上尉其中一个零级ARC部队的兄弟发现了这个地方:他们被称之为克隆人情报单位。我可得记录下来以便感谢迪库,有时候。
So I try to keep the squad laughing, because it takes our minds off calculating the odds.
所以我尝试去使小队保持笑容,因为它让我们不会费心思去计算概率。
"Okay," I say. "What do we all want most right now?"
“好吧,”我说。“你们现在最想要的是什么?”
"Roba steak," says the pilot.
“罗保牛排,”飞行员说。
"White-clad camo," says Niner.
“白色迷彩,”奈尔说。
"A really thick slice of uj cake," says Atin.
“一片厚厚的乌伊蛋糕,”阿廷说。
Darman pauses for a moment. "To see an old friend again."
达尔曼停顿了一下,说:“再次见到一位老友。”
Me? I'd like to go back to Arca Company Barracks on Coruscant. I want to see Coruscant before I die, and so far I've seen next to nothing of the place. Someone promised to buy me a beer there once.
至于我吗?我想要回到阿尔卡连位于科洛桑的营房。我希望在有生之年能去一次科洛桑,可是到现在我还没差不多见过任何和那里有关的东西。有个人曾经答应在科洛桑给我買啤酒。
The pilot is skimming a couple of meters above the snow, taking us through a narrow pass to avoid detection. It's all mountains and ravines now. And snow.
炮艇在雪面上几米的地方掠过,通过一个狭窄的通道以避免探测。这里到处都是高山和峡谷,还有雪。
"I've got visual on the factory," the pilot says. "And you're not going to like it."
“我看到工厂了,”飞行员说。“你们不会喜欢它的。”
"Why?" Niner asks.
“为什么?”奈尔问道。
"Because there're an awful lot of battle droids out there."
“因为有惊人数量的战斗机器人在那儿。”
"Are they made of phrik?"
“他们是用弗里克金属制造的吗?”
"I don't think so."
“我想不是。”
"No problem, then," says Niner. "Let's spoil their entire day."
“那就好,然后,”奈尔说。“让他们整天都不得安宁吧。”
The gunship slows enough for us to jump clear, and we scramble through knee-deep snow to take up a position in the lee of an outcrop. There's nothing like a quick hello from 'a Plex rocket launcher to show droids who's boss. No, they're definitely not made from phrik.
炮艇降低到一个足以让我们跳下的速度,然后我们爬过过膝深的雪以占据一个位于岩石后方的位置。
I reload the Plex and keep turning the droids into shrapnel while Darman and Atin make their way to higher ground to reach the factory.
当达尔曼和阿廷前往高地去搜寻工厂位置时我填装PLX-1型便携式导弹发射器并持续对战斗机器人进行轰击。
Yeah, a nice beer on Coruscant, on Triple Zero. Dreams like that keep you going.
是啊,在科洛桑,在“三零”,一杯好酒正在等待。梦想就像它一样推动着我们前进。
Believe in yourself or no one else will...

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

帝国

发表于 2013-8-17 18:10 | 显示全部楼层
支持!
翻译小说感觉比汉化漫画难多了,我原本还想翻译一个FernWithy的短篇同人——《Old Friend, Long Gone》(我给定的名字是“故人,往昔”),结果我去汉化《楚巴卡》后也就那么不了了之了,但愿比我更有毅力的后人来完成它吧
You have a savage heart

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

帝国克隆人汉化组

楼主| 发表于 2013-8-18 09:21 | 显示全部楼层
回复 3# CaptBerserk

小说是比漫画要惨。。。

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

绝地

发表于 2013-8-18 19:28 | 显示全部楼层
加油!!!!!

主题

帖子

精华

外环星域

原力
水晶

帝国克隆人汉化组

楼主| 发表于 2013-8-29 17:15 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 灏客 于 2013-8-29 17:19 编辑

第一章
Find Skirata. He's the only one who can talk these men down. And no, I'm not going to obliterate a whole barracks block just to neutralize six ARCs. So get me Skirata: he can't have traveled very far.
去找到斯科拉塔。他是唯一能说服这些家伙的人。不,我不会为了对付六个高级侦查突击队士兵就毁掉整个营区。所以给我找到斯科拉塔:他不可能走得太远。
-General Iri Camas, Director of Special Forces, to Coruscant Security Force, from Siege Incident Control, Special Operations Brigade HQ Barracks, Coruscant, five days after the Battle of Geonosis
——伊里·卡马斯将军,特种部队负责人,发至科洛桑安保部队,来自科洛桑特种作战旅旅部,包围事件控制中心,吉奥诺西斯战役五天之后
Tipoca City, Kamino, eight years before Geonosis
提波卡城,卡米诺,吉奥诺西斯战役八年之前
Kal Skirata had committed the biggest mistake of his life, and he'd made some pretty big ones in his time.
卡尔·斯科拉塔犯了一生中最大的错误,虽然他过去曾做出些相当严重的错误。
Kamino was damp. And damp didn't help his shattered ankle one little bit. No, it was more than damp: it was nothing but storm-whipped sea from pole to pole, and he wished that he'd worked that out before he responded to Jango Fetes offer of a lucrative long-term deployment in a location that his old comrade hadn't exactly specified.
卡米诺是潮湿的。而潮湿对他的脚踝毫无益处。不,这里的气候远远超过了“潮湿”的概念:星球的两极之间只有一整片风暴肆虐的海洋。他希望在他接受詹戈·费特提出的高薪长期雇佣邀请、前往那个他的老伙计并没有详加说明的工作地点前解决这个问题。
But that was the least of his worries now.
但这只是他现在最不需要担心的问题。
The air smelled more like a hospital than a military base. The place didn't look like barracks, either. Skirata leaned on the polished rail that was all that separated him from a forty-meter fall into a chamber large enough to swallow a battle cruiser and lose it.
这里的空气闻起来更像一个医院而不是一座军事基地。哪怕是从外观上看来,这地方也不像是一个军营。斯科拉塔斜倚在一条光亮的铁轨上,这条铁轨是他和一道四十米高的瀑布之间唯一的物体,这道瀑布的后面,有一个大到足够吞下一艘巡洋舰还绰绰有余的空洞。
Above him, the vaulted illuminated ceiling stretched as far as the abyss did below. The prospect of the fall didn't worry him half as much as not understanding what he was now seeing.
在他上方,拱形的照明天花板延伸至远处,在视线的终点和下方的深渊化为一体。对斯科拉塔来说,搞不清楚眼前所见之物的忧虑远远盖过了瀑布景象所带来的震惊。
The cavern-surgically clean, polished durasteel and permaglass-was filled with structures that seemed almost like fractals. At first glance they looked like giant toroids stacked on pillars; then, as he stared, the toroids resolved into smaller rings of permaglass containers, with containers within them, and inside those
这个洞穴——像手术室一般干净,全部用光洁的耐钢和perma玻璃搭建而成——布满了各种建筑结构,看上去简直像是不规则的碎片。第一眼看上去,那就像是巨型的线圈缠绕在柱子上,定睛一看,他眼中的线圈渐渐清晰,变成了perma玻璃制成的环形容器,容器之中还有容器,而在最里层——
No, this wasn't happening.
不,这不可能。
Inside the transparent tubes there was fluid, and within it there was movement.
那些透明管子的内部充满了液体,里面有东西蠕蠕而动。
It took him several minutes of staring and refocusing on one of the tubes to realize there was a body in there, and it was alive. In fact, there was a body in every tube: row upon row of tiny bodies, children's bodies. Babies.
他花了好几分钟仔细观察着那管子,最终辨认出里面的东西是一具人的躯体,而且是活的。事实上,每个管子里都有一具躯体,幼小的身体鳞次栉比排列开去,那是孩子的身体。这里全都是婴儿。
"Fierfek," he said aloud.
“天杀的。”他大声骂了一句。
He thought he'd come to this Force-forsaken hole to train commandos. Now he knew he'd stepped into a nightmare. He heard boots behind him on the walkway of the gantry and turned sharply to see Jango coming slowly toward him, chin lowered as if in reproach.
他以为他来到这个被遗弃的洞穴是来训练突击队的。现在他才发现他已经陷入了一场噩梦之中。身后的悬架走道上响起了靴子的声音,他急速转身,看到詹戈缓缓走来,紧紧收着下巴,面带责备。
"If you're thinking of leaving, Kal, you knew the deal," said Jango, and leaned on the rail beside him.
“如果你想离开,卡尔,你知道交易的内容。”詹戈一边说,一边倚在身边的轨道上。
"You said-"
“你说的是——”
"I said you'd be training special forces troops, and you will be. They just happen to be growing them:'
“我说你要在这里训练特种兵,你很快就可以开始了,这些很快就会长成你要的兵。”
"What?"
“什么意思?”
"Clones."
“克隆人。”
"How the fierfek did you ever get involved with that?"
“你他妈的到底怎么搅和进这事里来的?”
"A straight five million and a few extras for donating my genes. And don't look shocked. You'd have done the same."
“一次性付清的五百万,再加上我提供基因换来的零头。别这么吃惊的看着我,你拿到的也是这么多。”
The pieces fell into place for Skirata and he let himself be shocked anyway. War was one thing. Weird science was another issue entirely.
事情的线索在斯科拉塔心里渐渐明晰,他沉浸在震惊中无法自拔。战争是一回事,奇特的技术可是截然不同的另一种东西。
"Well, I'm keeping my end of the deal?" Skirata adjusted the fifteen-centimeter, three-sided blade that he always kept sheathed in his jacket sleeve. Two Kaminoan technicians walked serenely across the floor of the facility beneath him.
“那么,”斯科拉塔调整了一下他那把15厘米长的三棱刀,他总是把这把刀收在外套袖子的刀鞘里。两个卡米诺技术员平静地走过下方布满设施的地板。
Nobody had searched him and he felt better for having a few weapons located for easy use, including the small hold-out blaster tucked in the cuff of his boot.
没人搜过他的身,在触手可及的位置放着几把武器让他感到安心,其中包括一把插在靴筒里的爆能枪。
And all those little kids in tanks . . .
还有罐子里的这些孩子……
The Kaminoans disappeared from sight. "What do those things want with an army anyway?"
卡米诺人走出了视线。“这些东西要一支军队想做什么?”
"They don't. And you don't need to know all this right now." Jango beckoned him to follow. "Besides, you're already dead, remember?"
“不是他们想要,而且现在你还没必要知道所有细节。”詹戈示意让他跟上:“除此之外,现在你已经死了,记得吗?”
"Feels like it," said Skirata. He was the Cuy'val Dar-literally, "those who no longer exist," a hundred expert soldiers with a dozen specialties who'd answered Jango's secret summons in exchange for a lot of credits . . . as long as they were prepared to disappear from the galaxy completely.
“感觉上是这样,”斯科拉塔说。他是“Cuy'val Dar”的一员——字面意思是“消逝者”,由一百名精英战士和十二名特种兵组成,他们随时响应詹戈的秘密召唤,换取颇为可观的报酬……只要他们准备好在这个银河中完全隐没。
He trailed Jango down corridors of unbroken white duraplast, passing the occasional Kaminoan with its long gray neck and snake-like head. He'd been here for four standard days now, staring out the window of his quarters onto the endless ocean and catching an occasional glimpse of the aiwhas soaring up out of the waves and flapping into the air. The thunder was totally silenced by the soundproofing, but the lightning had become an annoyingly irregular pulse in the corner of his eye.
他跟着詹戈走进整片白色耐塑筑成的走廊,和几个偶然路过、长着灰色长脖子和蛇一样的脑袋的卡米诺人擦肩而过。今天已经是他到达这里之后的第四个标准日,他注视着窗外无边的海洋,突然看到了几只艾瓦飞鲸遨游直上,跃出浪巅,在空中拍打着翅膀。雷声被隔音材料完全阻隔,但闪电的光芒还是在他的眼角映上了一束恼人的不规则脉动。
Skirata knew from day one that he wouldn't like Kaminoans.
斯科拉塔从第一天起就知道他不会喜欢卡米诺人。
Their cold yellow eyes troubled him, and he didn't care for their arrogance, either. They stared at his limping gait and asked if he minded being defective.
他们冷冰冰的黄色眼眸让他感觉不舒服,他也不喜欢他们的傲慢。他们看着他一瘸一拐的步态,问他是否介意这样的残缺。
The window-lined corridor seemed to run the length of the city. Outside, it was hard to see where the horizon ended and the rain clouds began.
这条满布窗户的走廊似乎贯穿整座城市。在这长廊之外,看不到地平线终于何处,也看不到积雨云起于何方。
Jango looked back to see if he was keeping up. "Don't worry, Kal. I'm told it's clear weather in the summer-for a few days:'
詹戈回过头来,看看他是不是还跟在后面:“别担心,卡尔。我听说到了夏天会有好天气的——有那么几天。”
Right. The dreariest planet in the galaxy, and he was stuck on it. And his ankle was playing up. He really should have invested in getting it fixed surgically. When-if-he got out of here, he'd have the assets to get the best surgeon that credits could buy.
没错,这是整个银河中最为阴郁的一颗星球,而他偏偏困在这里。他的脚踝在这时也开始恰到好处的火上浇油。他真的应该花点钱做个手术把它治好的。一旦——如果可以的话——他离开这里,他就能提出足够支付用钱能買到的最好的医疗服务的财产。
Jango slowed down tactfully. "So, Ilippi threw you out?"
詹戈善解人意地慢下了脚步:“这么说,伊利皮把你甩了?”
"Yeah." His wife wasn't Mandalorian. He'd hoped she would embrace the culture, but she didn't: she always hated seeing her old man go off to someone else's war. The fights began when he wanted to take their two sons into battle with him. They were eight years old, old enough to start learning their trade; but she refused, and soon Ilippi and the boys and his daughter were no longer waiting when he returned from the latest war. Ilippi divorced him the Mando way, same as they'd married, on a brief, solemn, private vow. A contract was a contract, written or not. "Just as well I've got another assignment to occupy me."
“是的。”他的妻子不是曼达洛人,他希望她能融入他们的文化,但她做不到:她总是讨厌看到她的男人投身于无关之人的战争。当他想要把他们的两个儿子也带上战场时,冲突爆发了。他们都有8岁大,已经到了可以学习父亲的技术的年纪,但她断然拒绝了。很快,当他从最近的一场战斗中回到家里,他发现伊利皮、儿子们还有他的女儿不再像以前一样等他回来。伊利皮按照曼达洛的方式和他离了婚,一如他们结婚的时候,一条简短、庄严而私密的誓言就让是他们的婚仪。木已成舟,无可挽回。“还好我接到了一份能让我忙起来的新工作。”
"You should have married a Mando girl. Aruetiise don't understand a mercenary's life." Jango paused as if waiting for argument, but Kal wasn't giving him one. "Don't your sons talk to you any longer?"
“你应该娶个曼达洛女孩的。外族人不能理解曼达洛佣兵的生命。”詹戈停住话头,好像在等他反驳一样,但卡尔并没有说话。“你儿子也不再跟你说话了?”
"Not often." So I failed as a father. Don't rub it in. "Obviously they don't share the Mando outlook on life any more than their mother does." -
“并不多。”我是个失败的父亲,别老是戳我的伤疤。“显然他们能接受的曼达洛人生观比他们的母亲还要少。”
"Well, they won't be speaking to you at all now. Not here. Ever."
“好吧,他们再也不会跟你说话了。不只是现在,恐怕永远都不会了。”
Nobody seemed to care if he had disappeared anyway. Yes, he was as good as dead. Jango said nothing more, and they walked in silence until they reached a large circular lobby with rooms leading off it like the spokes of a wheel.
不会有人再去关心他是否消失。是的,他的确已与死亡无异。詹戈没有再说什么,他们在沉默中前行,直到他们走进一座圆形的大厅,许多房间像车轮的辐条一样从这座大厅延伸出去。
"Ko Sai said something wasn't quite right with the first test batch of clones," said Jango, ushering Skirata ahead of him into another room. "They've tested them and they don't think these are going to make the grade. I told Orun Wa that we'd give him the benefit of our military experience and take a look."
“科·赛说第一批实验组的克隆体有些地方存在问题,”詹戈说,引着走在他前面的斯科拉塔进入另一个房间,“他们对克隆体进行了测试,认为他们并没有达到要求。我告诉奥伦·瓦我们会提供我们的军事经验,然后再看看效果。”
Skirata was used to evaluating fighting men-and women, come to that. He knew what it took to make a soldier. He was good at it; soldiering was his life, as it was for all Mando'- ade, all sons and daughters of Mandalore. At least there'd be some familiarity to cling to in this ocean wilderness.
斯科拉塔已经习惯了评估战争中的男人——和女人,只要她们也参战。他清楚地知道一个优秀的战士需要什么素质。他擅长这类事情,当兵就是他的生活,就像这对于所有的曼达洛孩子、儿女们来说一样。在这片汪洋大海中,至少还有些熟悉的事情让他可以依靠。
It was just a matter of staying as far from the Kaminoans as he could.
这正是个尽可能远离卡米诺人的好机会。
"Gentlemen," said Orun Wa in his soothing monotone. He welcomed them into his office with a graceful tilt of the head, and Skirata noted that he had a prominent bony fin running across the top of his skull from front to back. Maybe that meant Orun Wa was older, or dominant, or something: he didn't look like the other examples of aiwha-bait that Skirata had seen so far. "I always believe in being honest about setbacks in a program. We value the Jedi Council as a customer."
“先生们。”奥伦·瓦用他令人宽慰的音调问候。在他的办公室里,他优雅地低下头表示欢迎,斯科拉塔注意到在他的头顶上长着一条突出的骨质鳍状物,从头盖骨前端一直延伸至末端。这可能表示奥伦·瓦年龄较老,或是地位较高,要么就是别的什么因素:他看上去不太像迄今为止斯科拉塔见过的那些“飞鲸饵料”。“我的原则是绝不隐瞒程序中的任何挫折。我们把绝地评议会视作贵客。”
"I have nothing to do with the Jedi," said Jango. "I'm only a consultant on military matters."
“我跟绝地没有任何关系,”詹戈说。“我只是一名军事顾问。”
Oh, Skirata thought. Jedi. Great.
噢,斯科拉塔想。绝地,太棒了。
"I would still be happier if you confirmed that the first batch of units is below the acceptable standard."
“但如果你能确定第一批产品已经达到可以接受的标准,我还是会很高兴。”
"Bring them in, then."
“那就带他们进来吧。”
Skirata shoved his hands in his jacket pockets and wondered what he was going to see: poor marksmanship, poor endurance, lack of aggression? Not if these were Jango's clones. He was curious to see how the Kaminoans could have fouled up producing fighting men based on that template.
斯科拉塔扭了扭插在外套口袋里的手,他十分想知道接下来将会看到什么:可怜的枪法,贫乏的耐力,低下的攻击性?詹戈的克隆体不可能是这个样子。他很好奇卡米诺人在基于这样一个模板的战士身上弄出了什么差错。
The storm raged against the transparisteel window, rain pounding in surges and then easing again. Orun Wa stood back with a graceful sweep of his arms like a dancer. And the doors opened.
暴风雨拍打在窗上,雨滴射进波浪,又随着下一个浪头飞溅而起。奥伦·瓦向后稍退,向舞者一样优雅地挥了一下手臂,门打开了。
Six identical little boys-four, maybe five years old-walked into the room.
六个一模一样的男孩——四岁大,也可能是五岁——走进了房间。
Skirata was not a man who easily fell prey to sentimentality. But this did the job just fine.
斯科拉塔不是个轻易陷进多愁善感之中的人,但是眼前这个场景成功的做到了这一点。
They were children: not soldiers, not droids, and not units. Just little kids. They had curly black hair and were all dressed in identical dark blue tunics and pants. He was expecting grown men. And that would have been bad enough.
他们只是孩子:不是士兵,不是机器人,不是“个体”。只是幼小的孩子。他们都长着黑色卷发,穿着完全一样的深蓝色束腰外衣和裤子。他以为他会看到成年人,可现在这个场景可真称得上糟透了。
He heard Jango inhale sharply.
他听到詹戈急促地吸了一口气。
The boys huddled together, and it ripped at Skirata's heart in a way he wasn't expecting. Two of the kids clutched each other, looking up at him with huge, dark, unblinking eyes: another moved slowly to the front of the tight pack as if barring Orun Wa's path and shielding the others.
孩子们挤在一起,斯科拉塔的心被毫无准备的狠狠揪了一下。两个小男孩抱在一起,大大的黑色眼睛眨也不眨的看着他。还有一个慢慢走到他们前面,好像要挡住奥伦·瓦,保护后面的孩子们。
Oh, he was. He was defending his brothers. Skirata was devastated.
噢,他在……他在保护他的兄弟们。斯科拉塔感觉心都要被刺穿了。
"These units are defective, and I admit that we perhaps made an error in attempting to enhance the genetic template," Orun Wa said, utterly unmoved by their vulnerability.
“这些个体存在缺陷,我必须承认我们可能在尝试对基因模板进行强化的时候产生了错误。”奥伦·瓦说道,丝毫不为这些孩子的脆弱无助所动。
Skirata had worked out fast that Kaminoans despised everything that didn't fit their intolerant, arrogant society's ideal of perfection. So . .
斯科拉塔很快就意识到,卡米诺人对一切不符合他们追求完美以至于近乎褊狭、傲慢的社会理想的事物,都抱着轻视的态度。这么说……
...they thought Jango's genome wasn't the perfect model for a soldier without a little adjustment, then. Maybe it was his solitary nature; he'd make a rotten infantry soldier. Jango wasn't a team player.
……他们认为詹戈的基因是制造一个战士所需要的最完美的模板,不需要任何修改。这可能是因为他独行者的本性,他在军队里会是个极差的士兵,詹戈不是个有团队精神的人。
And maybe they didn't know that it was often imperfection that gave humans an edge.
而且看来他们并不知道,很多时候,正是“不完美”让人更生锋芒。
The kids' gaze darted between Skirata and Jango, and the doorway, and all around the room, as if they were checking for an escape or appealing for help.
孩子们的视线一会儿在斯科拉塔和詹戈之间转来转去,一会儿飘向门口,一会儿又扫过整个房间,似乎他们正在寻找逃脱路径或是可以求助的人。
"Chief Scientist Ko Sai apologizes, as do I," said Orun Wa. "Six units did not survive incubation, but these developed normally and appeared to meet specifications, so they have undergone some flash-instruction and trials. Unfortunately, psychological testing indicates that they are simply too unreliable and fail to meet the personality profile required!'
“首席科学家科·赛向您表示歉意,我也如此。”奥伦·瓦说,“有六个个体在发育过程中死亡,但是这些经过了的生长阶段较为正常,似乎可以达到规格要求,”因此对他们进行了植入式培训与训练。不幸的是,心理测试表明他们极为不可靠,不能满足人格要求。”
"Which is?" said Jango.
“具体来说是什么?”詹戈问。
"That they can carry out orders:' Orun Wa blinked rapidly: he seemed embarrassed by error. "I can assure you that we will address these problems in the current Alpha production run. These units will be reconditioned, of course. Is there anything you wish to ask?"
“他们不能执行命令,”奥伦·瓦快速的眨着眼,他似乎由于错误而感到尴尬:“我可以向您保证,我们可以在当前的A批次生产运行中定位这些问题。当然这几个单位会进行重新调校。您有什么要问的吗?”
"Yeah," said Skirata. "What do you mean by reconditioned?"
“有,”斯科拉塔说话了,“你说的‘重新调校’是什么意思?”
"In this case, terminated."
“在这种情况下,它的意思是终结。”
There was a long silence in the bland, peaceful, white-walled room. Evil was supposed to be black, jet black; and it wasn't supposed to be soft-spoken. Then Skirata registered terminated and his instinct reacted before his brain.
这个温和、宁静、有着白色墙壁的房间一时陷入了长长的死寂之中。邪恶的代表色应该是黑色,深深的黑色,而不应该是这种温和可亲的颜色。当斯科拉塔意识到“终结”的意思的时候,他的怒火比他的理智更早一步控制了躯体。
His clenched fist was pressed against Orun Wa's chest in a second and the vile unfeeling thing jerked his head backward.
他紧握的拳头狠狠捣在奥伦·瓦的胸前,使这个卑劣的,毫无感情的东西脑袋猛地向后一抽。
"You touch one of those kids, you gray freak, and I'll skin you alive and feed you to the aiwhas-"
“你敢碰一个孩子,你这个灰色的杂碎,老子就活剥了你的皮,把你扔去喂飞鲸——”
"Steady," Jango said. He grabbed Skirata's arm.
“冷静。”詹戈说。他抓住了斯科拉塔的手臂。
Orun Wa stood blinking at Skirata with those awful reptilian yellow eyes. "This is uncalled for. We care only about our customers' satisfaction."
奥伦·瓦站直身子,用那双可怕的、爬虫动物似的黄眼睛惊愕地看着斯科拉塔:“你没必要这么做,我们只求让客户满意。”
Skirata could hear his pulse pounding in his head and all he could care about was ripping Orun Wa apart. Killing someone in combat was one thing, but there was no honor in destroying unarmed kids. He yanked his arm out of Jango's grip and stepped back in front of the children. They were utterly silent. He dared not look at them. He fixed on Orun Wa.
斯科拉塔能听见脉搏在脑袋里轰然跃动的声音,他现在唯一的想法的就是把奥伦·瓦切成碎片。在战斗中杀死某人是一回事,但杀害手无寸铁的儿童是极为可耻的事情。他挣脱了詹戈的手,往后退到孩子们身前。房间一片寂静,他不敢去看他们,他只是紧紧盯着奥伦·瓦。
Jango gripped his shoulder and squeezed hard enough to hurt. Don't. Leave this to me. It was his warning gesture. But Skirata was too angry and disgusted to fear Jango's wrath.
詹戈抓住他的肩膀,双手使力,让斯科拉塔感到疼痛。别乱来,这事交给我来处理。这是他表示警告的动作。但斯科拉塔极度的愤怒和厌恶让他无视了詹戈的怒火。
"We could do with a few wild cards," Jango said carefully, moving between Skirata and the Kaminoan. "It's good to have some surprises up your sleeve for the enemy. What are these kids really like? And how old are they?"
“我们需要几张百搭牌,”詹戈谨慎地选择着措辞,在斯科拉塔和卡米诺人之间走来走去,“能在袖子上面给敌人准备一点小惊喜最好不过。这些孩子到底是什么情况?他们多大了?”
"Nearly two standard years' growth. Highly intelligent, deviant, disturbed-and uncommandable."
“经过了接近两个标准年的生长期。高度智能、不正常、易受干扰并且不接受指挥。”
"Could be ideal for intel work." It was pure bluff: Skirata could see the little twitch of muscle in Jango's jaw. He was shocked, too. The bounty hunter couldn't hide that from his old associate. "I say we keep 'em?'
“听起来是脑力工作的理想选择,”这纯粹是掩人耳目:斯科拉塔能看见詹戈下巴上的肌肉在抽搐,他也被震惊了。这个赏金猎人可没法瞒过他的老伙计。“我说我们就留着他们吧。”
Two? The boys looked older. Skirata half turned to check on them, and their gazes were locked on him: it was almost an accusation. He glanced away, but took a step backward and put his hand discreetly behind him to place his palm on the head of the boy defending his brothers, just as a helpless gesture of comfort.
两年?这些孩子看来可不止这么大。斯科拉塔半转过头看着他们,孩子们也正盯着他:他几乎能感受到那些视线中的责备。他挪开视线,但是后退了一步,小心地把手伸向身后,想摸一摸那个保护着他兄弟的孩子的脑袋,这只是个毫无帮助的动作,但至少能让他们舒服一点。
But a small hand closed tightly around his fingers instead. Skirata swallowed hard. Two years old.
但是一只小手抬了起来,紧紧握住他的手指。斯科拉塔艰难地咽了口唾沫,两岁大。
"I can train them," he said. "What are their names?"
“我可以训练他们,”他说,“他们叫什么名字?”
"These units are numbered. And I must emphasize that they're unresponsive to command." Orun Wa persisted as if talking to a particularly stupid Weequay. "Our quality control designated them Null class and wishes to start-"
“这些个体只有编号。而我必须再次强调,他们对命令反应迟钝。”奥伦·瓦喋喋不休,仿佛在对一个蠢笨至极的威奎人说话。“我们的质量控制体系将他们指定为零级,并且希望开始——”
"Null? As in no di'kutla use?"
“零?就是毫无用处的意思?”
Jango took a discreet but audible breath. "Leave this to me, Kal."
詹戈用谨慎但可以听见的方式吸了口气:“让我来解决,卡尔。”
"No, they're not units." The little hand was grasping his for dear life. He reached back with his other hand and another boy pressed up against his leg, clinging to him. It was pitiful. "And I can train them."
“不,他们不是‘个体’。”小手拼命抓紧了他。他把另一只手也伸到身后,另一个孩子上前托住这只手,紧拉着他。这场景令人动容。“我可以训练他们。”
"Unwise," said Orun Wa.
“这并不明智。”奥伦·瓦说。
The Kaminoan took a gliding step forward. They were such graceful creatures, but they were loathsome at a level that Skirata could simply not comprehend.
卡米诺人以近乎滑行的方式向前迈了一步。他们的仪态如此优雅,而同时令人憎恶的程度也达到了斯科拉塔无法理解的水平。
And then the little lad grasping his leg suddenly snatched the hold-out blaster from Skirata's boot. Before he could react the kid had tossed it to the one who'd been clinging to his hand in apparent terror.
突然之间,那个抓着斯科拉塔的腿的男孩从他的靴子里抽出了露出握柄的爆能手枪。在他反应过来之前,那孩子就把枪扔给了那个明显十分恐惧的抓住他手的孩子。
The boy caught it cleanly and aimed it two-handed at Orun Wa's chest.
小男孩干净利落地接住了枪,双手握持,瞄准了奥伦·瓦的胸口。
"Fierfek." Jango sighed. "Put it down, kid."
“见鬼了。”詹戈叹了口气,“把枪放下,小子。”
But the lad wasn't about to stand down. He stood right in front of Skirata, utterly calm, blaster raised at the perfect angle, fingers placed just so with the left hand steadying the right, totally focused. And deadly serious.
但这个孩子一点没有放下枪的意思。他站在斯科拉塔前面,十分镇定,手枪举在完美的角度上,手指握的恰到好处,左手辅助右手把稳枪口,全神贯注。
Skirata felt his jaw drop a good centimeter. Jango froze, then chuckled.
斯科拉塔的下巴快要掉到地上了。詹戈没有动,然后轻轻笑了起来。
"I reckon that proves my point," he said, but he still had his eyes fixed on the tiny assassin.
“我相信这足够证明我的观点了。”他说,但他的眼神还是盯在这个小小的刺客身上。
The kid clicked the safety catch. He seemed to be checking it was off
小男孩拨了一下保险。他看上去好像在检查手枪是否已经解除了保险。
"It's okay, son," Skirata said, as gently as he could. He didn't much care if the boy fried the Kaminoan, but he cared about the consequences for the kid. And he was instantly and totally proud of him-of all of them. "You don't need to shoot. I'm not going to let him touch any of you. Just give me back the blaster."
“没事了,孩子。”斯科拉塔尽力以他最温柔的方式说。他对这孩子有没有轰了那个卡米诺人并不太关心,他关心的只是这个意外给孩子们带来的后果。他的心里瞬间充满了这孩子带给他的骄傲——所有的孩子带给他的骄傲。“你不需要开枪。我不会让他碰到你们中的任何一个。把枪还给我吧。”
The child didn't budge; the blaster didn't waver. He should have been more concerned about cuddly toys than a clean shot at this stage in his young life. Skirata squatted down slowly behind him, trying not to spook him into firing.
小男孩没有让步,手枪毫不动摇。在他年轻生命中的这个阶段,他应该关注可爱的玩具而不是精准的射击。斯科拉塔在他慢慢蹲在他身后,尽量不让他因为受到惊吓而开枪。
But if the boy had his back to him . . . then he trusted him, didn't he?
但既然这个孩子把后背暴露在他面前……那就是说他信任他,不是么?
"Come on . . . just put it down, there's a good lad. Now give me the blaster." He kept his voice as soft and level as he could, when he was actually torn between cheering and doing the job himself. "You're safe, I promise you."
“放轻松……放下就好,这才是好孩子。现在把枪给我吧。”他让他的声音尽可能的温柔,其实这时他正在跳起来为这孩子的表现欢呼和动手拿下他的枪之间摇摆。“你已经安全了,我向你保证。”
The boy paused, eyes and aim still both fixed on Orun Wa. "Yes sir." Then he lowered the weapon to his side. Skirata put his hand on the boy's shoulder and pulled him back carefully.
小男孩停下了,但他的眼睛和准星都还一直指向奥伦·瓦:“是的,长官。”然后他垂下了枪口。斯科拉塔把手放在小男孩的肩膀上,慢慢的把他往后拉。
"Good lad." Skirata took the blaster from his little fingers and scooped him up in his arms. He dropped his voice to a whisper. "Nicely done, too."
“好孩子。”斯科拉塔从他的小手里拿回了手枪,用手把他抱了起来。他降低声音,在他耳边低语:“顺带一提,干得漂亮。”
The Kaminoan showed no anger whatsoever, simply blinking, yellow, detached disappointment. "If that does not demonstrate their instability, then-"
那个卡米诺人好像是无论发生什么都不会发怒一样,他只是眨着眼,黄色的眼睛透露出失望:“如果这还不能证明他们的不稳定性,那——”
"They're coming with me."
“他们跟我走。”
"This is not your decision."
“你无权作出这个决定。”
"No, it's mine," Jango interrupted. "And they've got the right stuff. Kal, get them out of here and I'll settle this with Orun Wa."
“对,但我有。”詹戈的声音插了进来,“他们找到了正确的教官。卡尔,带他们离开这里,我会跟奥伦·瓦谈妥这件事。”
Skirata limped toward the door, still making sure he was between the Kaminoan and the kids. He was halfway down the corridor with his bizarre escort of tiny deviants before the boy he was carrying wriggled uncomfortably in his arms.
斯科拉塔向房门一瘸一拐地走过去,始终保持自己处在卡米诺人和孩子们之间。他领着这对由小小的异常个体组成的护卫队走到走廊中间的时候,怀里的那个孩子好像不舒服似的扭动起来。
"I can walk, sir:' he said.
“我能自己走,长官。”他说。
He was perfectly articulate, fluent-a little soldier way beyond his years.
他吐字清晰,语音流畅——有种和年龄不相称的军人风范。
"Okay, son."
“好吧,孩子。”
Skirata lowered him to the floor and the kids fell in behind him, oddly quiet and disciplined. They didn't strike him as dangerous or deviant, unless you counted stealing a weapon, pulling a feint, and almost shooting a Kaminoan as deviant. Skirata didn't.
斯科拉塔把他放到地板上,小男孩自动回到他身后的队伍里,出奇地安静并且富有纪律性。他们在他看来并不危险,也不异常,除非要把盗取武器、发动佯攻和几乎射杀了一名卡米诺人定义为“异常”。斯科拉塔可不会这么想。
The kids were just trying to survive, like any soldier had a duty to do.
这些孩子们只是在努力活下去,像责任在肩的士兵一样。
And they looked four or five years old, but Orun Wa had definitely said they were two. Skirata suddenly wanted to ask them how long they'd spent in those awful suffocating transparisteel vats, cold hard tanks that were nothing like the dark comfort of a womb. It must have been like drowning. Could they see each other as they floated? Had they understood what was happening to them?
他们看上去有四五岁大,但奥伦·瓦很肯定的说他们只生长了两年。斯科拉塔突然想问问他们在那可怕的、令人窒息的由透明钢制成的罐子里呆了多久,那些冷硬的罐子和黑暗舒适的子宫全无一点相似之处。呆在里面的感觉就像溺水一样。他们浮出水面时能看到彼此吗?他们知道在他们身上发生了什么吗?
Skirata reached the doors of his stark quarters and ushered them in, trying not to dwell on those thoughts.
斯科拉塔走到自己明亮的宿舍门前,把孩子们领进门,尽力不再去触碰那些念头。
The boys lined up against the wall automatically, hands clasped behind their backs, and waited without being told to.
小男孩们自发地沿着墙边站成一排,双手背在身后,不需要谁的指示就已经跨立待命。
I brought up two sons. How hard can it be to mind six kids for a few days?
我曾养过两个儿子。照顾六个小子几天时间又会难到哪去呢?
Skirata waited for them to react but they simply stared back at him as if expecting orders. He had none. Rain lashed the window that ran the whole width of the wall. Lightning flared. They all flinched.
斯科拉塔等着他们做出反应,但他们只是直勾勾地等回来,好像是在等待命令一样。可他现在没什么命令要下达。大雨冲刷着落地窗,闪电猛地炸开,他们都畏缩了一下。
But they still stood in silence.
但还是没人说话。
"Tell you what," Skirata said, bewildered. He pointed to the couch. "You sit down over there and I'll get you something to eat. Okay?"
“跟你们说吧,”斯科拉塔带着困惑开口了,他指了指沙发,“你们坐到那去,我去给你们弄点吃的,好吧?”
They paused and then scrambled onto the couch, huddling together again. He found them so utterly disarming that he had to make a rapid exit to the kitchen area to gather his thoughts while he slapped uj cake onto a plate and sliced it roughly into six pieces. If this was how it was going to be for-for years . . . .
他们奔向沙发,又在那里挤成一团。看着这些毫无防备的孩子,他慌忙跑到厨房,一边重整思绪,一边把乌伊蛋糕拍在盘子里,切成六等份。如果这是他在接下来的……接下来的几年里要过的生活……
注:uj cake - dense, very sweet flat cake made of ground nuts, syrup, pureed dried fruit and spice
You're stuck, chum.
你被困住了,伙计。
You took the credits.
你已经收了钱。
And this is your whole world for the foreseeable future... and maybe forever.
这就是你以后的整个世界……或许,是直到永远。
It never stopped raining. And he was holed up with a species he loathed on sight, and who thought it was okay to dispose of units who happened to be living, talking, walking children. He raked his fingers through his hair and despaired, eyes closed, until he was suddenly aware of someone staring up at him.
雨总是下个不停。他不得不呆在一个他根本不愿看见的物种之间,而这个物种还认为处理掉活生生的能说会动的孩子并无不妥。他把手指插进头发里,绝望充满了内心,他紧紧闭着眼睛,直到突然发觉有人在注视着他。
"Sir?" the boy said. It was the courageous little marksman. He might have been identical to his brothers, but his mannerisms were distinctive. He had a habit of balling one fist at his side while the other hand was relaxed. "May we use the 'freshers?"
“长官?”小男孩说话了。这是那个勇敢的小神枪手。他的外貌或许和他的兄弟一模一样,但他的某些特殊习惯却与众不同。他习惯一只手紧握成拳,另一只手却保持放松。“我们可以用洗浴器吗?”
Skirata squatted down, face level with the kid's. " 'Course you can." It was quite pathetic: they were nothing like his own lively, boisterous sons had once been. "And I'm not sir. I'm not an officer. I'm a sergeant. You can call me Sergeant if you like, or you can call me Kal. Everyone else does."
斯科拉塔蹲下身子,让自己的脸和孩子们齐平:“当然可以。”这实在是一种悲哀:他们一点也不像他曾经拥有过的活泼吵嚷的儿子。“而且,我不是什么长官。我不是军官,只是个军士。如果你愿意,可以叫我军士或者直接叫我卡尔。别人都这么叫。”
"Yes . . . Kal."
“是的……卡尔。”
"It's over there. Can you manage on your own?"
“洗浴器在那边。你们自己能操作吗?”
"Yes, Kal."
“是的,卡尔。”
"I know you don't have a name, but I really think you should have one."
“我知道你没有名字,但是我很着实认为你应该有个名字。”
"I'm Null Eleven. En-one-one."
“我是零-十一号,N-1-1。”
"How'd you like to be called Ordo? He was a Mandalorian warrior."
“你觉得奥多这个名字怎么样?他曾是个曼达洛战士。”
"Are we Mandalorian warriors?"
“我们是曼达洛战士吗?”
"You bet." The kid was a natural fighter. "In every sense of the word."
“一点不错。”这个孩子是天生的战士。“你当之无愧。”
"I like that name." Little Ordo considered the white-tiled floor for a moment, as if assessing it for risk. "What's Mandalorian?"
“我喜欢这个名字,”小奥多抬头看着白色瓷砖砌成的地板想了一会,好像在评估它的风险,“曼达洛人是什么?”
For some reason that hurt most of all. If these kids didn't know their culture and what made someone a Mando, then they had no purpose, no pride, and nothing to hold them and their clan together when home wasn't a piece of land. If you were a nomad, your nation traveled in your heart. And without the Mando heart, you had nothing-not even your soul-in whatever new conquest followed death. Skirata knew at that moment what he had to do. He had to stop these boys from being dar'manda, eternal Dead Men, men without a Mando soul.
出于某些原因,这个问题给他带来了最为强烈的震动。如果这些孩子不了解他们的文化,不知道曼达洛人的内涵是什么,那么他们就没有目标,没有骄傲,当家园四分五裂,他们没有可以将自己和战友维系在一起的精神力量。对流浪者来说,国家亲族只能静静流淌在心里。没有曼达洛之心,你就失去了一切——包括你的灵魂——。在那一刻,斯科拉塔知道了他不得不去做的事情。他必须防止这几个孩子变成“游魂”,永恒的灵魂死者,没有曼达洛之魂的行尸走肉。
"I can see I need to teach you a lot." Yes, this was his duty. "I'm Mandalorian, too. We're soldiers, nomads. You know what those words mean?"
“我发现我还要教给你们很多东西。”是的,这是他的责任,“我也是个曼达洛人。我们是士兵,是流浪者。你们知道这两个词是什么意思吗?”
"Yes."
“是的。”
"Clever lad. Okay, you go and sort yourselves out in the 'freshers, and I want you all sitting back on the couch in ten minutes. Then we'll sort out names for everyone. Got it?"
“机灵的小子。好把,你们去洗个澡,我要你们在十分钟之内全部坐回沙发里。然后我再给你们挨个起名字。明白吗?”
"Yes, Kal."
“是的,卡尔。”
So Kal Skirata-mercenary, assassin, and failed father-spent a stormy evening on Kamino sharing uj cake with six dangerously clever small boys who could already handle firearms and talk like adults, teaching them that they came from a warrior tradition, and that they had a language and a culture, and much to be proud of.
然后卡尔·斯科拉塔——身负雇佣兵、杀手、失败的父亲之名——在卡米诺星上消磨了一整个风雨交加的夜晚,和六个已经能使用热兵器并且像成年人一样言谈的危险而机灵的孩子们分享着乌伊蛋糕,告诉他们,他们出身于战士的传统,他们有独有的语言和文化,这一切都值得他们倍感荣光。
And he explained that there was no Mandalorian word for "hero." It was only not being one that had its own word: Hut'uun.
他解释说曼达洛语里没有“英雄”这个词,只有一个词用来形容没有成为那种人的人:“懦夫”。
注:Hut'uun --coward (worst possible insult)
There were an awful lot of hut'uune in the galaxy, and Skirata certainly counted the Kaminoans among them.
这世界上有数不胜数的懦夫,斯科拉塔理所当然地把卡米诺人算了进去。
The kids-now trying to get used to being Ordo, A'den, Kom'rk, Prudii, Mereel, and Jaing-sat devouring both their newfound heritage and the sticky sweet cake, eyes fixed on Skirata as he recited lists of Mandalorian words and they repeated them back to him.
这几个孩子——现在正在适应奥多(Ordo)、狂怒(A'den)、臂铠(Kom'rk)、影子(Prudii)、梅里尔(Mereel)和江(Jaing)的称呼——坐在一起,就着粘粘的甜蛋糕吞咽着他们刚刚得知的族群传统,他们紧紧盯着斯科拉塔,他列出一个曼达洛词汇,他们就重复一遍。
He worked through the most common words, struggling. He had no idea how to teach a language to kids who could already speak fluent Basic. So he simply listed everything he could recall that seemed useful, and the little Null ARCs listened, grim-faced, flinching in unison at every blaze of lightning. After an hour Skirata felt that he was simply confusing some very frightened, very lonely children. They just stared at him.
他奋力教完了常见单词。他不知道怎么教会一群已经能熟练使用基本语的孩子一门新的语言。所以他只是简单地列举能想起的一切有用的东西,这些小小的零级高级侦查突击队员们认真听着,表情严肃,但当闪电划过,就整齐一致地同时一缩身子。一个小时过去了,斯科拉塔觉得他只是在把一群害怕而孤单的孩子变得困惑而已。他们只是直勾勾的看着他。
"Okay, time to recap," he said, exhausted by a bad day and the realization that there was an unknowable number of days like this stretching ahead. He pinched the bridge of his nose_ in an effort to focus. "Can you count from one to ten for me?"
“好了,复习时间到。”他说,一天的糟糕经历和看不到终点的漫漫来日让他心神疲惫。他紧压鼻梁让自己集中精神。“你们可以帮我从1数到10吗?”
Prudii-N-5-parted his lips to take a quick breath and suddenly all six spoke at once.
影子——N-5——张开嘴,快速地吸了口气,突然之间,六个孩子异口同声的数了起来。
"Solus, t’ad, ehn, cuir, rayshe'a, resol, e'tad, sh'ehn, she'cu, ta'raysh."
“一,二,三,四,五,六,七,八,九,十。”(曼达洛语)
Skirata's gut flipped briefly and he sat stunned. These kids -absorbed information like a sponge. I only counted out the numbers for them once. Just once! Their recall was perfect and absolute. He decided to be careful what he said to them in the future.
斯科拉塔的肠子抽动了一下,他震惊地坐直身体。这些孩子像海绵一样吸收着信息。我只对他们说了一遍这些数字。只有一边!他们的复述完美而无可挑剔。他决定以后在他们面前说话时都要先谨慎思考。
"Now that's clever," he said. "You're very special lads, aren't you?"
“实在是太聪明了,”他说,“你们是特殊的孩子,是吗?”
"Orun Wa said we couldn't be measured," Mereel said, totally without pride, and perched on the edge of the couch, swinging his legs almost like a normal four-year-old. They might have all looked identical, but their individual characters seemed distinct and . . . obvious. Skirata wasn't sure how he managed it, but he could now look at them and see that they were different, distinguished by small variations in facial expressions, gestures, frowns, and even tone of voice. Appearance wasn't everything.
“奥伦·瓦说我们无法被评估。”梅里尔说,语气中全无骄傲,他坐在沙发边上,像一个普通的四岁孩子一样摇晃着腿。他们的外表完全相同,但他们的个体特征看起来各自不同而且……显而易见。斯科拉塔一开始不知道怎么应付,现在他可以看着他们,看出他们的确不同,表情、手势、眉头甚至是声调的细微变化。外貌并不代表一切。
"You mean you scored too high for him to count?"
“你的意思是你们的得分太高,他无法计数?”
Mereel nodded gravely. Thunder slapped the platform city: Skirata felt it without hearing it. Mereel drew up his legs again and huddled tight up against his brothers in an instant.
梅里尔沉重地点了点头。雷霆鞭挞着坐落在平台上的城市,不需要听到声音,斯科拉塔已经感觉得到。梅里尔刚刚再次抬起腿,又赶紧和他的兄弟挤作一团。
No, Skirata didn't need a hut'uunla Kaminoan to tell him that these were extraordinary children. They could already handle a blaster, learn everything he threw at them, and understand the Kaminoans' intentions all too well: no wonder the aiwha-bait was scared of them.
不,斯科拉塔不需要一个懦弱的卡米诺人来告诉他这些孩子的卓然超群。他们已经拿得动枪,记得住教给他们的知识,能理解卡米诺人的意向,难怪那些“飞鲸饵料”会对他们感到恐惧。
And they would be truly phenomenal soldiers-if only they could follow a few orders. He'd work on that.
他们会成为出类拔萃的战士——只要他们能听从一些命令。他会着手处理这件事。
"Want some more uj?" he said.
“想再来点乌伊蛋糕吗?”他问他们。
They all nodded enthusiastically in unison. It was a relief. At least that gave him a few minutes' respite from their unrelenting, silent attention. They ate, still miniature adults. There was no chattering or high spirits.
孩子们满怀热情地一起点头。这对他也是一种解脱。至少他可以有一小段时间不用暴露在他们专注而沉寂的注视之下了。他们吃东西的时候也是一副小大人的模样,没有人交头接耳,也没有人欢呼雀跃。
And they flinched at every bolt of lightning.
每次闪电都会让他们吓得一抖。
"Are you scared?" asked Skirata.
“你们害怕吗?”斯科拉塔问。
"Yes, Kal," said Ordo. "Is that wrong?"
“是的,卡尔。”奥多回答,“这是不对的吗?”
"No, son. Not at all." It was as good a time to teach them as any. No lesson would ever be wasted on them. "Being afraid is okay. It's your body's way of getting you ready to defend yourself, and all you have to do is use it and not let it use you. Do you understand that?"
“不,孩子。完全不是。”这又是一个教育他们的好机会。对他们进行的任何教导都不会被浪费。“感到恐惧没什么不妥。那是你的身体做好防御准备的一种方式,你们要做的就是利用它,而非被它控制。你们能理解吗?”
"No," Ordo said.
“不能。”奥多回答。
"Okay, think about being scared. What's it like?"
“好吧,想象一下感到害怕的情景,那是什么感觉?”
Ordo defocused slightly as if he were looking at something on a HUD he didn't have. "Cold."
奥多专注的眼神变得游移不定,看上去像是在一块不存在的平视显示器上寻找什么:“很冷。”
"Cold?"
“冷?”
A'den and Kom'rk chimed in. "And spiky."
狂怒和臂铠一起插话:“还有刺痛。”
"Okay . . . okay." Skirata tried to imagine what they meant. Ah. They were describing the feeling of adrenaline flooding their bodies. "That's fine. You just have to remember that it's your alarm system, and you need to take notice of it." They were the same age as city kids on Coruscant who struggled to scrawl crude letters on flimsi. And here he was, teaching them battle psychology. His mouth felt oddly dry. "So you tell yourself, okay, I can handle this. My body's now ready to run faster and fight harder, and I'll be seeing and hearing only the most important things I need to know to stay alive."
“好的……好的。”斯科拉塔尽力想象他们的意思。啊,他们描述的是兴奋剂在身体里流过的感觉。“很好,你们必须记住,这是你们的警报系统,要时刻注意。”他们和科洛桑上那些努力写下歪歪扭扭的字母的孩子一样大,可他现在却在传授他们战斗心理学,他的嘴没来由地一阵发干。“这时你要告诉你自己,没问题,我能解决这个,我的身体现在已经准备好跑得更快、打得更狠,我只需要听到和看到活下去所需要知道的最重要的信息。”
Ordo went from his wide-eyed dark stare to slight defocus again for a moment and nodded. Skirata glanced at the others. They had that same disturbing concentration. They had also stacked their plates neatly on the low side table. He hadn't even noticed them doing it.
奥多黑色大眼里的专注又散开了,过了一会,他点了点头。斯科拉塔看了看其他的孩子,他们的注意力也收到了干扰。他们还把自己的盘子整齐地放到了桌子上,他甚至没注意到他们的动作。
"Try thinking about your fear next time there's lightning," Kal said. "Use it."
“下次闪电的时候试着思考你们的恐惧,”卡尔说,“利用它。”
He went back to the kitchen area and rummaged through the cupboards for some other snack to keep them going, because they seemed ravenous. As he stepped back into the main room with a white tray of sliced food-board that looked even less appetizing than the tray itself, someone buzzed at the door.
他又回到厨房,把柜子翻了个底朝天,找找还有没有能让他们吃的食物,因为他们看起来饿坏了。当他端着一盘用白色托盘盛着的食物切片——那食物看起来还没有盘子好吃——回到客厅时,门响了。
The Nulls immediately went into a defensive pattern. Ordo and Jaing flanked the door, backs hard against the wall, and the other four took cover behind the sparse furniture. Skirata wondered for a second what flash-learning program had taught them that-or at least he hoped it was flash-taught. He waved them away from the door. They hesitated for a moment until he took out his Verpine shatter gun; then they appeared satisfied that he had the situation under some sort of control.
孩子们立即做出了防御的姿态。奥多和江站在门口两侧,脊背紧靠着墙,另外四个在屋里稀稀落落的家具后面寻找掩护。斯科拉塔还在奇怪什么样的植入式学习程序能够教给他们这个——或者说他希望这种反应来自植入式学习。他把他们从门边拉开。他们犹豫了一会,直到他掏出韦尔派恩碎裂枪,他们才确认事态已经得到某种程度的控制,表现出满意的神色。
"You scare me," Skirata said softly. "Now stand back. If anyone's after you, they've got to come through me first, and I'm not about to let that happen."
“你们吓到我了,”斯科拉塔轻轻地说,“现在往后站,如果有人要抓你们,他得先过我这一关,我可不会让这种事发生。”
Even so, their reaction prompted him to stand to one side as he hit the panel to open the doors. Jango Fett was standing in the corridor outside, a small sleepy child in his arms. The boy's curly head rested on his shoulder. He looked younger than the Nulls, but it was the same face, the same hair, the same little hand clutching the fabric of Jango's tunic.
虽然嘴上这么说,孩子们的反应还是让他在按下面板开门时站在一边。门外的走廊里站着詹戈·费特,手里抱着一个困倦的小男孩。孩子长满卷发的脑袋枕在他的肩膀上。他看起来比零级的孩子们还要幼小,但他们仍然拥有同样的面孔、同样的头发,同样的小手紧紧揪在詹戈外衣的布料上。
"Another one?" Skirata said.
“又一个?”斯科拉塔问道。
Jango glanced at the Verp. "You're getting edgy, aren't you?"
詹戈盯着他手里的碎裂枪:“你变得越来越急躁了,不是么?”
"Kaminoans don't improve my mood. Want me to take him?"
“卡米诺人可没让我的心情变好。需要我来照顾他吗?”
He shoved the shatter gun in his belt and held out his arms to take the boy. Jango frowned slightly.
他把碎裂枪插回腰带上的枪套,伸出双手准备接过这个孩子。詹戈微微皱了皱眉。
"This is my son, Boba," he said. He pulled his head back to gaze fondly at the dozing child's face. This wasn't the Jango that Skirata knew of old; he was pure paternal indulgence now. "Just trying to settle him down. Are you sorted now? I've told Orun Wa to stay away from you."
“这是我的儿子,波巴。”他朝后缩了缩脑袋,满怀怜爱地看着这张假寐的小脸。这不是斯科拉塔以前认识的那个詹戈,现在的他全身上下都散发着父爱。“我想找个地方让他安顿下来,你把他们都安顿好了吗?我已经告诉奥伦·瓦离你远点。”
"We're fine," Skirata said. He wondered how he was going to ask the question, and decided blurting it out was probably as good a way as any. "Boba looks just like them."
“我们挺好的。”斯科拉塔回答。他不知道应该怎么问出那个问题,最终他判断开门见山是最适当的方式:“波巴看起来和他们一样。”
"He would. He's been cloned from me, too."
“当然一样,他也是我的克隆体。”
"Oh. Oh."
“噢,噢。”
"He was my price. Worth more to me than the credits." Boba stirred, and Jango carefully adjusted his hold on the kid. "I'll be back in a month. Orun Wa says he'll have some commando candidates ready for us to take a look at as well as the rest of the Alpha batch. But he says he's made them a bit more . . . reliable."
“他是我的奖品。比那些酬金还要重要。”波巴动了动,詹戈小心翼翼地调整了一下抱着他的姿势。“我会在一个月内回来。奥伦·瓦说他会准备一些突击队候选人,让我们审阅,包括A批次剩下的人,不过他说他会让他们……更加可靠。”
Skirata had more questions than seemed prudent under the circumstances. It was natural for a Mando 'ad to want an heir above all else, and adoption was common, so cloning was ... not that much different. But he had to ask one thing.
面对这种情况,在表面的谨慎之下,斯科拉塔其实还有很多问题要问。曼达洛人想要拥有子嗣是理所当然的事情,收养也很常见,那么克隆也……没有太多不一样。但是还有一件事他必须问出口。
"Why do these kids look older?"
“为什么零级孩子看起来更大?”
Jango compressed his lips into a thin line of disapproval. "They accelerate the aging process."
詹戈的嘴唇抿成一条不悦的细线:“他们加速了生长进程。”
"Oh, fierfek ."
“哦,该死的。”
"You'll have a company of a hundred and four commandos eventually, and they should be less trouble than the Nulls."
“你会得到一个一百人的连,最后只能挑出四个突击队员,他们应该比零级的问题要少。”
"Fine." Did he get help? Were there Kaminoan minders to tackle the routine jobs, like feeding them? And how would the non-Mandalorian training sergeants deal with them? His stomach churned. He put on a brave face. "I can handle that."
“好吧。”但他会得到帮助吗?卡米诺看护者会处理配餐之类的日常工作吗?负责这训练的非曼达洛人军士该和他们如何相处?他的胃里一阵翻搅,可他还是摆出了充满果敢的表情:“我会处理好的。”
"Yeah, and I'll be doing my bit, too. I have to train a hundred." Jango glanced at the Nulls, now watching warily from the couch, and began walking away. "I just hope they aren't like I was at that age."
“对,而我会做好我那份,我得训练出一百个。”詹戈扫了一眼零级——他们正从沙发那满含警惕地回望过来——然后迈步离开:“我只希望他们不像我在这个年纪时一样。”
Skirata pushed the controls, and the door sighed shut. "Okay, lads, bedtime," he said. He dragged the cushions off the couch and laid them out on the floor, covering them with an assortment of blankets. The boys gave him a hand, with a grim sense of adult purpose that he knew would haunt him for the rest of his days. "We'll get you sorted out with decent quarters tomorrow, okay? Real beds:'
斯科拉塔按了一下按钮,门发出类似叹气的声音关上了。“好了,孩子们,是时候睡觉了。”他说。他把座垫从沙发上拆下来,放在地板上,把几条毛毯铺在上面。孩子们也来帮忙,动作中却以成年人的做派透出冷酷的感觉,他知道这种感觉恐怕会伴随他的余生。“我们明天再给你们找间像样的屋子,好吧?真的该睡觉了。”
He had the feeling they would have slept outside on the rain-lashed landing pad if he'd asked them to. They didn't seem at all unmanageable. He sat down in the chair and put his feet up on a stool. The Kaminoans had done their best to provide human-suitable furniture, something that struck him as a rare concession given their general xenophobic arrogance. He left the lights on, dimmed, to soothe the Nulls' fears.
他有种感觉,哪怕他要他们到外面睡在大雨滂沱的起降平台上,他们也会遵从。他们并非是完全不服管教。他坐进椅子,把脚放在矮凳上。卡米诺人尽其所能提供了适于人类的家具,考虑到他们惯常的排外性傲慢,这已经是罕有的让步。他没有关灯,只是调暗了灯光,让它来抚慰孩子们的恐惧。
They settled down, pulling the blankets over their heads completely. Skirata watched until they appeared to be asleep, laid his Verpine on the shelf beside the chair, and then closed his eyes to let the dreams overwhelm him. He woke with an explosive jerk of muscles a couple of times, a sure sign that he was past the point of tiredness and into exhaustion, and then he fell into an unending black well.
他们安定下来,把毯子拉过头顶。斯科拉塔看着他们,直到他们看上去都睡着了,才把枪放到椅子边的架子上,闭上了自己的眼睛,沉入梦乡。他在一阵爆发性的肌肉抽搐中醒来,这是一个证明他跨过了疲劳临界点、进入精疲力尽状态的确凿无疑的标志,然后他就落入了一口没有尽头的黑井。
He slept, or so he thought.
他睡着了,或者至少他自己是这么认为的。
A warm weight pressed against him. His eyes jerked open and he remembered he was stranded on a perpetually overcast planet that didn't even seem to be on the star charts, where the local species thought killing human kids was merely quality control.
一个暖暖的东西压在他身上。斯科拉塔猛地睁开眼,想起来他被困在一颗终年阴雨、甚至星图上都未必记载的星球上,而这里的居民认为杀死人类儿童不过是控制其优劣的手段。
Ordo's stricken little face looked up into his.
奥多抬起憔悴的小脸看着他。
"Kal..."
“卡尔……”
"You scared, son?"
“你害怕了,孩子?”
"Yes."
“嗯。”
"Come on, then." Skirata shifted position and Ordo scrambled up onto his lap, burying his face in his tunic as if he had never been held or comforted before. He hadn't, of course.
“那就上来吧。”斯科拉塔坐直了身子,奥多爬上了他的膝盖,把脸埋进他的外套里,就好像从来没有人抱过他、关爱他一样。当然,真的没有人这么做过。
The storm was getting worse. "The lightning can't hurt you here."
风暴愈加猛烈了。“呆在这里,闪电是不会伤害到你的。”
"I know, Kal." Ordo's voice was muffled. He wouldn't look up. "But it's just like the bombs going off."
“我知道,卡尔。”奥多的声音闷闷的,他没有往上看,“可听起来就像是炸弹落下来了一样。”
Skirata was going to ask him what he meant, but he knew in an instant that it would make him angry enough to do something stupid if he heard the answer. He hugged Ordo to him and felt the boy's heart pounding in terror.
斯科拉塔本来想问清楚他是什么意思,但他忽然悟到,如果他听到答案,他一定会狂怒得做出什么愚蠢的事来。他搂紧了奥多,感受着小男孩的心脏在恐惧中跳动。
Ordo was doing pretty well for a four-year-old soldier.
作为一个四岁大的士兵,奥多表现的足够出色了。
They could learn to be heroes tomorrow. Tonight they needed to be children, reassured that the storm was not a battlefield, and so was nothing to fear.
他们可以明天再来学习怎样成为英雄。今晚他们只需要像个普通的孩子就好,让他们确信这暴风雨并不是战场,所以没什么值得害怕。
The lightning illuminated the room in brief, fierce white light: Ordo flinched again. Skirata laid his hand on the boy's head and ruffled his hair.
闪电短暂、炽烈的白色光芒照亮了房间,奥多又畏缩了一下。
"It's okay, Ord'ika," he said softly. "I'm here, son. I'm here."
“没事的,小奥多。”他温柔地说,“我在这呢,孩子。我在这。”
Eight years later: Special Forces SO Brigade HQ Barracks, Coruscant, five days after the Battle of Geonosis
八年后:科洛桑,特种部队特种作战旅旅部兵营,吉奥诺西斯战役五天后。
Skirata had been detained by Coruscant Security Force officers and for once in his life he hadn't put up a fight.
斯科拉塔被科洛桑安保部队的人员拘留了,人生中的第一次,他没有做出抵抗。
Technically, he'd been arrested. And now he was the most relieved man in the galaxy, as well as the happiest. He jumped out of the police patrol speeder and winced at the sharp pain in his ankle as he hit the ground. He'd get that sorted out sooner or later, but now wasn't the time.
理论上说,他被逮捕了。但他现在是银河系中最安心、最高兴的人。他跃出警用巡逻加速器,落到地上时,脚踝的疼痛让他猛地一抽。他早晚要根治这个问题,但现在还不是时候。
"Wow, take a look at that," the pilot said. "They're holding off special ops squads there. You sure there's only six of 'em?"
“哇哦,看看这个,”驾驶员对他说,“他们挡住了特种作战小队。你确定他们只有六个人?”
"Yeah, six is overkill," Skirata said, discreetly patting his pockets and sleeves to make sure the assorted tools of his trade were in place and ready for use. It was just habit. "But they're probably scared."
“没错,六个还嫌多了。”斯科拉塔说,小心地轻拍口袋和袖子,确保他的吃饭家伙都在并且随时可用。这是他的习惯。“但他们可能感到害怕。”
"They're scared?" The pilot snorted. "Hey, you know Fett's dead? Windu topped him."
“他们会害怕?”驾驶员嗤笑了一声,“嘿,你知道费特死了吗?温杜杀了他。”
"I know," Skirata said, fighting the urge to ask if he also knew what had happened to little Boba. If the kid was still alive, he needed a dad. "Let's hope the Jedi don't have a problem with all of us Mando 'ade."
“我知道,”斯科拉塔回答,强压下再问问他是否知道小波巴现在处境如何的冲动。如果那孩子还活着,他会需要一位父亲。“让我们希望绝地不会去找所有的曼达洛孩子麻烦吧。”
The pilot closed the hatch, and Skirata limped across the barracks landing pad. Jedi general Iri Camas, hands on hips with his brown robes flapping in the breeze, watched in a way that Skirata could only describe as suspicious. Two clone troopers waited with him. Skirata thought the Jedi should get his long white hair cut: it wasn't practical or becoming for a soldier to wear his hair to his shoulders.
驾驶员关上了舱门,斯科拉塔一瘸一拐地走过兵营的起降平台。绝地将军伊里·卡玛斯的手放背在身后,褐色长袍在微风中抖动,他用一种斯科拉塔只能称之为怀疑的目光看了过来。两名克隆士兵跟他站在一起。斯科拉塔觉得这名绝地应该修剪一下他长长的白发:对于一名战士,披肩长发既不实用,也不合适。
"Thank you for responding, Sergeant," Camas said. "And I apologize for the manner of your return. I realize your contract is completed now, so you owe us nothing."
“感谢你能答应,军士。”卡玛斯说,“我要为接你返回的方式向你道歉。我注意到你的合同已经结束了,所以你现在已经不欠我们什么了。”
"Anytime," Skirata said.
“随时候命。”斯科拉塔说。
He noted the blasterproof assault shields erected across the main entrance: four squads of Republic Commandos stood behind them, DC-17 rifles ready. He glanced up at the roof, and there were two commando sniper teams spread out along the parapet as well. Yes, if a bunch of Null-class Advance Recon Commandos didn't want to cooperate, then it would take a lot of equally hard men to persuade them otherwise. And he knew that none of the commandos would be happy about being ordered in to do the persuading. They were brothers, even if the ARCs were rather different men at heart.
他注意到防爆能束护盾架设在入口,四支共和国突击队小队站在它们后面,DC-17步枪全部上膛。他抬眼一瞥天花板,上面有两支突击队的狙击手小队沿着护栏展开。是的,如果一群零级高级侦查突击队拒绝合作,那就得派出一大堆同样能干的人来“说服”他们改过。他还知道没有一个突击队员会为被派来执行这种“劝说”任务而开心。他们是兄弟,即使那些ARC士兵和他们有本质上的不同。
Skirata shoved his hands in his jacket pockets and focused on the doors. "So what started all this, then?"
斯科拉塔把手插进口袋里,盯着门口:“这件事的起因是什么?”
Camas shook his head. "They're scheduled to be chilled down now that they're back from Geonosis, because nobody can command them."
卡玛斯摇了摇头:“本来安排他们从吉奥诺西斯回来后就被冷冻,因为没人指挥得了他们。”
"I can."
“我能。”
"I know. Please, get them to stand down."
“我知道。我请求你让他们放弃抵抗。”
"They're even more of a handful than the regular Alpha-batch ARCs, aren't they?"
“这一小撮比正规的A批次ARC还要能干,是吧?”
"I know that, Sergeant."
“我都知道,军士。”
"So you wanted the hardest troops you could buy to take on the enemy, and then you got cold feet when they turned out to be too hard."
“所以你希望让你能買到的最优秀的战士先去干翻敌人,当你发现他们太过凶猛,你又感到害怕了。”
"Sergeant-"
“军士——”
"I'm a civilian at the moment, actually."
“实际上,现在我只是个平民。”
Camas took a silent breath. "Can you get them to surrender? They've shut down the whole barracks!'
卡玛斯无声地吸了口气:“你能让他们投降吗?他们搅乱了整个兵营!”
"I can." Skirata wondered if the clone troopers were looking sideways at him, or in the direction they appeared to be facing. You could never tell with their helmets on. "But I won't."
“我可以。”斯科拉塔想知道他身旁的克隆兵到底是在看着他,还是看着他的脸正对的那个方向,他们带着头盔的时候这可没法分辨。“但是我不会这么做。”
"I really don't want any casualties. Are you holding out for an increased fee?"
“我真的不希望造成任何伤亡。你是想要求更多的报酬吗?”
Skirata was a mercenary, but the suggestion insulted him. Camas couldn't be expected to know how he felt about his men, though. He made an effort not to be annoyed. "Enlist me in the Grand Army of the Republic and give me back my lads. Then we'll see."
斯科拉塔是一名雇佣兵,但这个建议是对他的羞辱。可卡玛斯无法预知他对他的部下的感情。他尽力克制自己的怒火:“让我加入大共和军,把我的孩子们还给我。然后我们会看到结果。”
"What?"
“什么?”
"They're terrified of chill-down, that's all. You have to understand what happened to them as kids." Camas gave him an odd look. "And don't even think about mind influence, General."
“他们害怕被冷冻,这就是原因。你得知道他们在童年经历了什么。”卡玛斯怪异地看了他一眼,“绝对不要试图使用原力控心,将军。”
Skirata didn't give a mott's backside about pay. Eight years spent on Kamino training special forces for the Republic's clone army had made him wealthy, and if they wanted to press more credits on him, that was fine; he'd have a good use for them. But what he wanted most right then, and what had made him happy to return with the CSF officers instead of showing them just how handy he was with a fighting knife, was not being safe in a soft civilian life when his men were fighting a desperate, bloody war.
斯科拉塔没有在报酬问题上讨价还价。在卡米诺上为共和国克隆人大军训练特种部队的八年时间已经让他变得足够富有,如果他们想支付更多的钱,那当然好,他会让这些钱得到合理的利用。但此时此刻他最关心的事,也是让他开开心心跟着科洛桑安保部队人员一起回来、而非让他们领教自己的刀法的事,就是当他的部下正在浴血奋战之时,自己不再像个小市民花一样过着安稳的生活。
And he needed to be back with them. He hadn't even had the chance to say good-bye when they suddenly shipped out to Geonosis. He'd lasted five miserable days without them, days without purpose, days without family.
他需要回到他们中间。当他们突然登船前往吉奥诺西斯的时候他甚至都没来得及说声再见,没有他们的陪伴,他度过了五个痛苦的日夜,失去志向的五天,失去家庭的五天。
"Very well," Camas said. "Special adviser status. I can authorize that, I suppose."
“很好,”卡玛斯说,“一个特别顾问的职位,我想我可以批准。”
Skirata couldn't see the commandos' faces behind their visors, but he knew they'd be watching him carefully. He recognized some of the paint schemes on their Katarn armor: Jez from Aiwha-3 Squad, and Stoker from Gamma, and Ram from Bravo up on the roof. Incomplete squads: high casualties on Geonosis, then. His heart sank.
斯科拉塔看不到目镜后面突击队员的脸,但是他知道他们在认真地看着他。他认出了喷涂在他们的卡塔恩盔甲上的图案:艾瓦-3小队的杰兹,伽马小队的司炉,屋顶上还有B小队的拉姆。触目可见缺损兵员的小队,这么说,他们在吉奥诺西斯上伤亡惨重。他的心沉了下去。
He began walking forward. He got to the blaster shields, and Jez touched his glove to his helmet. "Nice to see you back so soon, Sarge."
他迈步向前,走到护盾旁边。杰兹的手套触了一下头盔:“很高兴这么快又见到你,军士。”
"Couldn't stay away," Skirata said. "You okay?"
“我走不远,”斯科拉塔说,“你还好吗?”
"It's a laugh a minute, this job."
“这太搞笑了,这种工作。”
Camas called out, "Sergeant? Sergeant! What if they open fire-"
卡玛斯突然大声喊道:“军士?军士!要是他们开火——”
"Then they open fire!" Skirata reached the doors and turned his back on them for a few moments, unafraid. "Do we have a deal? Or do you want me holed up in there with them? Because I won't be coming out unless you guarantee them no disciplinary action."
“那又怎么样!”斯科拉塔走到门边,脊背冲着他们待了一会,毫无畏惧。“我们签了合同吗?还是你想把我和他们一起关在这?如果你不向他们保证不会有非训练项目,我就不会走出去。”
It struck Skirata that Camas might be the one to fire on him right then. He wondered if his commandos would obey that order if it were given. He wouldn't have minded if they had. He'd taught them to do their job, regardless of their own feelings.
那时斯科拉塔担心的是卡玛斯可能只是向他开火的众人中的一个。他不知道如果射击命令下达,他的突击队员是否会执行。即使他们那么做了他也不会介意,他教导过他们尽职尽责,摒弃个人感情。
"You have my word," Camas said. "Consider yourself in the Grand Army. We'll discuss how we're going to deploy you and your men later. But first let's get everyone back to normal, shall we, please?"
“我向你保证,”卡玛斯说,“接纳你进入大共和军。我们稍后再谈部署你和你的人的细节。但首先让我们把所有人都回归常态,好吗?拜托了。”
"I'll hold you to every last word, General."
“我会记住你说的每一个字,将军。”
He waited at the doors for a few moments. The two sheets of reinforced durasteel parted slowly. He walked in, relieved, and home again at last.
他站在门口等了一会儿。两扇加厚耐钢大门缓缓分开,他走了进去,感到一阵安心,他终于又回家了。
No, Camas really needed to understand what had happened to these men as young boys. He had to, if he was going to cope with the war that had now been unleashed.
不,卡玛斯真的需要了解这些人的童年发生过什么,他必须去了解,如果他希望能够应对这场逐渐蔓延开来的战争的话。
It wouldn't just be fought on someone else's planet. It would be fought in every corner of the galaxy, in every city, in every home. It was a war not just of territories, but of ideologies.
战斗不会仅仅在某某人的某某星球上展开,战斗将在银河系的每一个角落爆发,遍及每一个城市,每一个家庭。战争的双方争夺的不仅是领土,还有意识形态。
And it was wholly outside Skirata's Mandalorian philosophy: but it was his war regardless, because his men were its instrument whether they liked it or not.
这已经违背了斯科拉塔的曼达洛哲学,但不论如何这都是他的战争,因为不管他喜欢与否,他的部下都已经投身其中。
One day, he would give them back something the Kaminoans and the Republic had stolen from them. He swore it.
终有一天,他会把卡米诺人和共和国从他们身上窃取的东西还给他们,他发誓。
"Ord'ika!" he called. "Ordo? You've been a naughty boy again, haven't you? Come here..."
“小奥多!”他叫着,“奥多?你又调皮了,是吗?到这边来……”
Believe in yourself or no one else will...
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入星球大战

本版积分规则

星球大战中文网官方微信公众号

手机版|星球大战中文网 ( 沪ICP备09001291号 )

GMT+8, 2019-9-22 06:31 , Processed in 0.205173 second(s), 19 queries .